What is the email I received after purchasing a new iPhone?

Options
david63
david63 Posts: 2 Spectator
edited October 2023 in Spectrum Mobile

I purchased a new iPhone 15 thru the spectrum mobile site. About 60 minutes later I receive this email (attached). It sure looks like a scam to me. What do you think?

Best Answers

• Lyn_T
    Lyn_T Posts: 393 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Good evening @david63 and Welcome to our Community Forums

Thank you for reaching out to us about the email you received. During the verification process of mobile orders there may be required information that is needed to complete the request. If you have questions about the authenticity of the email we always encourage you to contact us at 1-833-224-6603​​​​​ 

-Lyn

• Pamonmedia
    Pamonmedia Posts: 2 Spectator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Got the same thing and I have two other lines with them. Simple verification and cleared up the following day. It’s legit

Answers

• david63
    david63 Posts: 2 Spectator
    Options

thank you Lyn_T. I cannot imagine why you would require such importantly private information from the buyer of a mobile phone. I have a very hard time with this. thank you though.

• TomUpNorth
    TomUpNorth Posts: 32 Contributor
    Options

There are an appalling number of people working scams instead of legitimate business, and some of these involve cellphones. You would not want a bad guy to acquire an iPhone 15 by using your creds on their mobile site. Good on Spectrum Mobile for having this confirmation step.

FWIW I recently switched a cellular Apple Watch from my wife's iPhone to pair with my own, and after un-pairing it with her phone the Mobile tech/sales staff treated the linkage of the watch to my own phone as if I'd brought it in as a new customer, including iirc asking for my Social.

These steps feel onerous but are necessary to [try to] stop the ever-opportunistic crooks out there.

This discussion has been closed.