Internet drops for all devices but modem and router appear on line.

Options
awgiles
awgiles Posts: 2 Spectator
edited January 10 in Internet 2023 Archive

My connection to the internet for all devices drops about 2-3 times per day at random times and for about 5-10 minutes. When I check the modem and router during these drops, they both appear to be connected. I have had the modem replaced but not the router. I have read about firmware upgrades but it appears that this is automatically done from Spectrum. I cannot explain it or trouble shoot an more options and would like some assistance beyond the normal unplug and plug back in directions for the router and modem.

Best Answers

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,718 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi & welcome!

I was able to locate your account from your registration information. You modem signal levels are out of range, specifically your tx upstream levels. Restarting the modem may help to temporarily resolve the issue, otherwise we suggest that you schedule a service call at your earliest convenience to address the issue.

Thanks!

• awgiles
    awgiles Posts: 2 Spectator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thank you for the response James. I will follow your instructions and use this request a service call as well.

Answers

• RAIST515O
    RAIST515O Posts: 90 Contributor
    Options

In the short until the tech arrives, where it is practical, check the condition of your cables and connectors.

Make sure all active cables are terminated somehow--either an actual device or a screw on termination cap. If a cable jack is not in use in a room but still connected to signal from the plant, it can act as a small antenna that lets stray signals creep into the system and generate noise. Some markets are using frequencies close or actually in line with mainstream cell phones, so this can be a pretty big gotcha sometimes.

Want to have snug, clean, dry connections, no crimped/pinched/nicked cables, no sharp bends (tighter than what would happen wrapping around a soda bottle).

Also want to avoid being too close to potentially noisy electrical items like flourescent fixtures, unshielded motors/speakers/etc. Don't want to be close to items broadcasting micro- or other radio waves either (microwaves, cell repeaters, etc.)

Want to avoid situations that may cause dramatic shifting temperature/humidity too. Something that can get overlooked when running one's own cables. Direct exposure to sunlight/weather, through standing water, up against heating/cooling equipment... shifts in the environment from such things causes shifts in resistance, which can knacker signals.

This discussion has been closed.