Can’t Receive Email On IPhone When On Cellular

Options
Elizabeth_1973
Elizabeth_1973 Posts: 3 Spectator
edited November 2023 in Email

Hello. Please bear with me as I’m new here but am in desperate need of guidance. I use AT&T as my cell phone service provider, Spectrum for WiFi and tv service in my home, and a bak.rr.com primary email account. I can receive incoming email to my iPhone but all outgoing mail sits in the Outbox until I am in my home under Spectrum WiFi. I upgraded my phone from the iPhone 14 to the iPhone 15, Sept 22, 2023, and have been unable to send email from my bak.rr.com roadrunner mail account, on iPhone, since. Please note that I am referring to the mail app on my iPhone and not on my computer. I’ve spoken with Spectrum and they tell me they can’t help me because I’m using a “3rd party” app. Through online research, I found that my settings are what Spectrum says they should be which is both Incoming and outgoing servers are mail.brighthouse.com. Ports are 587 and 993. Account is an IMAP account. I have received several messages which are below. Please, if anyone can help I’d be very grateful. Thank you for listening and reading.

Error message 1: Cannot connect to the outgoing mail server for @bak.rr.com Mail can try to repair these settings.

Error message 2: Cannot Send Mail. The connection to the outgoing server “mail.brighthouse.com” failed. Additional outgoing mail servers can be configured for mail accounts in settings>mail>accounts. Operation Timed Out.

Best Answer

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,090 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you are just using the default mail app on IOS, yes it would be Apple. Unfortunately the limit of the support we can provide with 3rd party mail clients is providing the server settings needed to configure it.

Ports are always being blocked, it is a normal part of how the internet works. If the issue is only happening when on mobile data that would indicate the blocked port or other connection issue is on AT&Ts side. The only other thing I can recommend besides reaching back out to Apple or AT&T is to remove the email account from the mail app and then set it back up from scratch.

Answers

• Tyleen_Z
    Tyleen_Z Posts: 702 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

Hello and welcome to the Spectrum Community.

I do apologize for the issues. Generally when using a third party email app you would need to reach out to the app creator for help. Can you try to send an email using the webmail site on your cell network instead of using the app?

-Tyleen

• Elizabeth_1973
    edited October 2023
    Options

Thank you for your response. So Apple would be the creator of the mail app on my phone, correct? I’ve already spoken to them and they point to Spectrum as the problem. Yes, I have sent myself an email through webmail, over 5G+ from my cell phone, and it went through. Additionally, might I add that I am able to send emails on my iPhone from both my Yahoo and Outlook accounts, and they go through on 5G+ just fine from my phone. This is a Spectrum problem. Is Spectrum blocking a port?

• Elizabeth_1973
    Options

Thank you very much for your informative response. As mentioned, I’ve already contacted all of the parties mentioned (Apple, Spectrum, AT&T) and each point the finger at the other. I will however reach out to AT&T again. All server settings on my iPhone are correct, per Spectrum, so it appears there’s nowhere left to turn if AT&T will not help. Additionally, I have deleted my email account and added it again which did not solve the problem. Again, I appreciate you taking the time to respond with information that helps me to understand what might likely be happening.

This discussion has been closed.