Anyone know why TV Land is going out at night?

Options
Florida_Gal
Florida_Gal Posts: 6 Spectator
edited January 19 in Watch TV 2023 Archive

I'm in the Tampa Bay area. For the last 10 days or so TV Land works during the day but is out at night. Today I saw it go out as I was watching it, at 7:50 pm, during a program. It comes back sometime in the morning, every day. There have been updates run recently during the middle of the night, but I don't think that explains why it is available during the day but not at night, even on days updates haven't run. Anyone know why? Anyone else noticed this? I haven't contacted Spectrum yet because I have doubts they will understand the problem or offer a solution.

Answers

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,097 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

Hi @Florida_Gal, welcome to our community!

Are you getting a black screen, error message, or something else when it goes out? Have you tried rebooting your cable receiver?

• Florida_Gal
    Options

Black screen. I have not rebooted specifically, but the receiver has rebooted multiple times during recent updates. I will try that, but it seems odd to me to be a box issue since it's only happening in the evening.

• Jaleesa_F
    Jaleesa_F Posts: 371 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

Please try the reboot and let us know if that helps.

• Florida_Gal
    Options

I did a reboot and it brought the channel back for now. I'll have to give it a day or two to know if it sticks. I'm surprised that one channel being intermittently available is a box issue. What causes that? I don't like to reset my box because it's an almost 15 minute process each time I reset it.

• Renee_T
    Renee_T Posts: 684 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

I'm glad to hear the channel is working for you again. There can be a number of things that can cause issues on a single channel, from an issue with the box updating improperly to the encoder not working properly.

• Florida_Gal
    Options

Four hours later it went out again. The signal sputtered for about 30 seconds and then it went black. I happened to notice Oxygen and VH1 were also out at this time. I hadn't checked other channels before.

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,322 Contributor
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hello @Florida_Gal ,

I would recommend contacting Spectrum to check your signals and drop line on:

TV Land

VH1

Oxygen

A box swap won't fix this and if the problem is happening at night and OK in the morning, but going out at night again, you will need a service call to check your line. If it is a line issue, sometimes a reboot will offer a temporary fix, but within hours to days the original problem comes back. Get your drop line and signals checked out with a service call. A tech will come out and take a signal reading on those channels. Let the CSR and tech know that you are losing the picture blank screen on those channels in the late night/wee hours.

Satch

• Florida_Gal
    Options

@Satch Thank you. This is very helpful. I'm in a condo. Does that change anything I ask them/tell them regarding the signals and drop lines when I call for service?

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,322 Contributor
    Options

Oh @Florida_Gal,

You are in a condo. That might change things. When you signed your agreement, is cable provided to you by the management? If it is, you might have to get permission from management before a tech can come out and do anything to the lines.

On the other hand if you are paying for cable out of pocket and its not included as a part of your condo services, than you can call like any other customer and say, "I need my lines and signals checked."

How many units in your building? Management might not want their lines updated, unless the other people in the dwelling are all having similar issues, or cable is out completely. I could see them saying, "Oh, we can't call for just three channels that only have occasional problems." If management is providing Spectrum Cable TV to you, contact your service desk and see what they say. But if you are paying on your own. just call for a signal and drop line test,

Satch

• Florida_Gal
    Options

Thank you, @Satch. My condo complex has 64 units, 12 in each condo tower. Basic cable and Internet is paid for through a bulk agreement, but that wasn't always the case. I've had technicians out both when I was a direct customer and when under the bulk agreement. I am still a customer, as I pay for an added package on top of the basic service of the bulk agreement. My worry is a tech coming out and not knowing how to deal with this problem, as I went through that with my Internet a few years ago and it was beyond annoying to have them keep coming out and not solving the problem. But I guess I'll give it a shot, as I don't think it's acceptable to have some channels not working. Thanks again for your insights!

This discussion has been closed.