received a letter about 500mbps upgrade but nothing has happened

Options
Obez
Obez Posts: 2 Spectator
edited January 10 in Internet 2023 Archive

Hello, got a letter about a 500 mbps upgrade on or after the 27th of October. I have rebooted my modem and router several times but still am only at 100mbps. I have the modem provided to me from Spectrum. Thanks for the help!

Answers

• Jaleesa_F
    Jaleesa_F Posts: 371 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

Hello @Obez!

Welcome to the Community Forums! We are happy to assist! I was able to take a look and I see that the speed has been upgraded. Are you currently wired or wireless? I would advise bypassing your router and connecting directly to your modem to test your internet speed at www.speedtest.net to see if you're getting your subscribed speeds. Please note, you may need to reboot the modem once you're directly connected to refresh the connection.

• Obez
    Obez Posts: 2 Spectator
    Options

thanks! I tested directly from the modem and got 500mbps. I guess my old cisco router can't achieve those speeds. thanks for the help!

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 724 Contributor
    Options

Right. That's exactly what happens when the router's uplink Ethernet port is limited to 100 Mbps Ethernet. There were still some lower-end wireless routers on the market with that limitation as recently as 3 or 4 years ago, believe it or not.

This discussion has been closed.