Still getting spam calls with nomorobo and callguard

Options
Tracey1964
Tracey1964 Posts: 5 Spectator
edited December 2023 in Digital Phone

How come I am still getting spam calls when I have nomoro and call guard on my telephone line?

Answers

• Tyleen_Z
    Tyleen_Z Posts: 702 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

Hello and welcome to the Spectrum Community.

I do apologize for the issues but there are some calls that do get through. It all depends on how they are making the calls.

-Tyleen

• Tracey1964
    Options

I do not see where this program is helping me any. I am getting up to 100 scam/spam calls per day, and nothing offered by spectrum has helped. The calls are coming in 24 hours a day, into the middle of the night, and no one can sleep anymore. I am so tired of going to work every single day tired. I wish Spectrum would put in a program that actually works, and PLEASE lower your monthly bills. Not only is there nothing that you offer that is helping with all my spam/scam calls, but the television price of my bill is not worth it either. It's either all these new programs that I am not interested in watching, or re-runs. Terrible Service in my opinion.

• Tyleen_Z
    Tyleen_Z Posts: 702 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

I understand the frustration. We use a third party company, Call Guard, for the spam blocking and their services are not perfect. Again not all scam calls are registered as scams so they can slip through. You can also go to this link here to get further information about Call Guard. There is a way to report numbers to them that are scam calls so they can improve their service.

As for pricing you would need to call in to customer service at 1-855-707-7328 to speak with someone there to see what options you have for the price. The content on the channels is not something we have any control over as the programming is the same no matter the carrier.

-Tyleen

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 722 Contributor
    edited November 2023
    Options

How long has this been going on? Even for spam, that kind of volume and untimeliness is out of whack.

So how are those numbers that come in the middle of night displayed as compared to numbers that are familiar to you. Are they just 10-digit numbers or do they have +1 followed by a 10-digit number or do they have just a 1 (no +) followed by a 10-digit number? Have you answered any of them and, if so, have you any indication as to whether they might be trying to reach somebody else? I'm trying to figure out if your number is somehow/somewhere mixed up with a foreign one or if it is erroneously listed in who knows what kind of a directory somewhere or what.

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,321 Contributor
    Options

Welcome @Tracey1964!

I would also ask, how long has this been going on? In order for Call Guard to work properly, you will need to re-activate it with Simultaneous Ring to get it working again Reactivate NoMorobo below.

These archived instructions will tell you how to get Nomorobo working again. Please be sure to follow them exactly:

https://community.spectrum.net/discussion/169227/yes-you-can-still-use-nomorobo-with-spectrum-call-guard

Give it about 12 hours to activate. In the meantime, go to "My Account" Call Guard Settings, and be sure that Call Guard is turned on as well as the "Spam Risk" notification. Always allow the phone to ring one time, which is mandatory in order for Call Guard/Nomorobo to work. Save your changes.

If the callers are hanging up after the first ring and can't leave messages, the system is working. You can not bypass the first ring. It is needed for call screening on Spectrum Voice and Nomorobo.

If this does not work, call Customer Care, and ask the rep to check your Spectrum Voice Settings over the phone, letting him/her know that they are not working.

Satch

• Tracey1964
    edited November 2023
    Options

Everything has been set up correctly, and the robo and spam calls are still happening 24 hours a day and night.

Is there anything else that can be done in order to stop these calls?

I sure would appreciate help in this matter.

Tracey

• Satch
    edited November 2023
    Options

Hi Tracey,

We need to know has this been happening from the moment you got Spectrum Voice Service? If not, when did it start? Tons of people have Spectrum Voice and Nomorobo with no problems. Did you do the above recommendations of setting up Nomorobo again following the instructions link and checking "My Account?"

1.) If you have not, do that first. (Waiting 12 hours to see if anything changes.)

2.) If you have already done that, considering that this is happening 24x7, your phone number may have been hacked.

I would recommend:

1.) Using My Account where you can set up Spectrum Voice to only accept calls from numbers you permit to go through:. Go to My Account/Manage Spectrum Voice/ Select "Accept Select Calls." From here, you can add up to 30 calls that you want to go through, the rest of the numbers get blocked. Add those numbers and save your changes. Don't want to do that? Go to Step 2.

2.) Call Spectrum and say"I am getting Spam calls 24x7 and think my phone number has been hacked. Please check my account to see if there are any phone issues." Sometimes the Call Guard will not activate remotely, and customers had to call Spectrum to get it working over the phone (Note that Spectrum no longer "supports" Call Guard, but it can be configured to work again by setting it up again at the above link. You must set Nomorobo up again to work again, if you have Call Guard activated. Simultaneous Ring gets disabled with Call Guard, and Nomorobo needs to be set up again to get it to work. Ask Spectrum Customer Care if they can give you a new phone number. (This may take up to 10 business days.) Your only other option is Step 3.

3.) Hacked numbers however, can be almost impossible to stop the calls if they are hacked. You would have to get a new number, and possibly a new phone service provider. Check out Community Phone. Here is their website:

Here is more information about Community Phone:

You will want their premium service at $46/mo because it includes Spam Protection where every caller that calls your phone has to press a number on their phone for the call to go through. This stops 99% of all Telemarketers. Hopefully switching phone providers will be a last resort and Spectrum can help, but sometimes if you get hacked, you will have to get a new number whether you stay with Spectrum for phone, or not. 24x7 is way, way too extreme. I have Spectrum Voice and it blocks all the bad calls, so something is not right with your phone.

Satch

• Satch
    edited November 2023
    Options

Delete blank post.

• Tracey1964
    edited November 2023
    Options

My boyfriend and myself both come from very large families, and only allowing up to 30 phone numbers to our accept list is no where near enough. There is much more family members that call us nearly on a daily basis. Is there any other way to help from receiving all these spam and robo calls? Your help on this matter would be appreciated.

Tracey

• Satch
    Options

Hi Tracey,

Thanks for the update. Call Spectrum and let them know your Call Guard does not work at all, and ask them to check your account for any kind of suspicious phone activity. You need to speak to a Spectrum agent. Ask how much time it will take to resolve this because you are getting spam/telemarketer calls 24x7.

If you don't want to wait on hold, you can log into Twitter and follow the Ask_Spectrum page. Send a Direct Message on Twitter saying that you are getting spam calls 24x7 and Call Guard is not working In the Direct Message, you will need to provide your account # and a description of the above issue.

Your only other option is to switch phone providers. I wish there was an easier way!

Satch

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 722 Contributor
    edited November 2023
    Options

That doesn't sound like garden-variety (including fraudulent) solicitation spam. If you couldn't care less about that, then i admire you and this is for you:

Ooma Premier: 🔗https://support.ooma.com/home/contacts-only-calling/

Get it, set it, forget it, and get some sleep. 😊

• Tracey1964
    edited November 2023
    Options

I am still getting spam and robo calls, and spectrum said that there is nothing they can do since their call guard is not working to correct my problem.

Thank you anyways.

Tracey

• Satch
    Options

@Tracey1964

You will probably need to go with @HT_Greenfield's suggestion of Ooma Premier or my suggestion of Community Phone. We have done all we can at this time. Good luck.

Satch

This discussion has been closed.