Why can't I record series?

Options
desertcliff
desertcliff Posts: 15 Participant
edited January 10 in TV Equipment

A Spectrum technician was here about a week ago and he installed a new DVR box. Since his visit, I no longer see the option to record an entire season of any TV show. The only way to record anything is to go into a list of available episodes and record one by one,

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Best Answer

• Lyn_T
    Lyn_T Posts: 393 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Good evening @desertcliff

Thank you for reaching out to us about recording series on your new DVR box. When you go to the guide and locate a series you want to record. Select that program. You will then see two options ( Series or Episode) You would then select which option you are looking for. Please let us know if this does not help out. -Lyn

Answers

• desertcliff
    Options

No, this doesn't help at all. I already stated in my question that there is no option shown to record a series.

• Renee_T
    Renee_T Posts: 674 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

When you are looking to record a series, are you going through the guide or using the search function? Also, do you notice this happening with a specific show/series or does it seem to be any show?

• desertcliff
    Options

It's both and any show.

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,716 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

Thanks. Sometimes a newly installed cable box needs to be restarted to ensure all recent updates are successfully loaded. Can you restart the cable box and let us know if you are still unable to record a series?

• desertcliff
    Options

The technician restarted the cable box but I'll try restarting it again.

I have to say that I'm not fond of Spectrum.

Thanks for your response.

• desertcliff
    Options

I rebooted the box, but no change.

Perhaps it would helo to provide a specific example. If I use the search function to look for a TV show, when that show comes up there are only two options given. The first is to. browse episodes of the show. If I choose that, it then shows episodes available to watch ora whole season. In either case, I can then choose episodes to record, but I have to go down the list episode by episode and choose record. And I have to check back every so often to see if there are additional episodes available to record. The second option is to add the show to my watch list, but this doesn't take me to the option to record.

• Renee_T
    Renee_T Posts: 674 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

Thank you for checking. If you set a recording just for the one episode and then go into the DVR menu does it allow you to alter the recording options to switch it to the series?

• desertcliff
    Options

No.

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 702 Contributor
    edited November 2023
    Options

Two ways to go, here, man, and "series info"/"browse episodes" is neither of'm and if neither of'm works, name the series if you've a mind to and i'll see if whichever episodes are even available to record within the next about a week and a half are seriesed up, per se.

🔗https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/spectrum-guide-dvr-recording

• desertcliff
    Options

I'm aware that these are not the way to record a series. I was just providing an example of the only options I get.

A few series I had previously set to record before my cable box was replaced were:

The Voice

25 Words or Less

• HT_Greenfield
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hit Series Priority in My DVR and see what, if anything, is in there. You should be able to record either one of those series-wise like you say, so, if you cancel any/all applicable currently scheduled recordings and then select the very next upcoming episode from the full schedule guide and then hit RECORD, do you not get the subsequent RECORD SERIES vs. RECORD EPISODE option like you should and what, if anything, do you get instead?

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,318 Contributor
    Options

What's up?, @desertcliff ?

Can you provide the name of any show and post a screenshot, so that we can test this on our own boxes to see if we can duplicate the results? Some sports can't be record as a series, and things like On Demand can't be recorded at all. Also, what model box do you have, and are you running Spectrum Guide?

Satch

• desertcliff
    Options

Greenfield, there was nothing in there under Series Priority.

While I appreciate all of the suggestions, I'm tired of trying one thing after another when I was able to record series on the old cable box and can't on the new.

I dislike Spectrum immensely,

• HT_Greenfield
    Options

One last stupid idea for the road: to whatever extent you may be hitting the REC button in the process of trying to schedule a program to record series-wise, try sticking with the OK button instead.

• Satch
    Options

Guys,

I am having this question investigated:

In the meantime, try this:

1.) With Spectrum Guide, search for the show you want to watch in the list via the keyboard (B button or magnifying glass.)

2.) Select "Browse Episodes" Click OK

2.) Highlight a selected show using the Record button on your remote. Make sure it's not an On Demand Program, those can't be recorded.

3.) If the selected show is a part of a series, those options should be offered. You should be able to Record New Episodes, or all episodes of a series:

See here for more information:

Satch

• catchtwentytwo
    catchtwentytwo Posts: 144 Contributor
    edited December 2023
    Options

I believe you cannot set a Series Recording if there are no upcoming airings of a show in the next two weeks. Search for the program and go to Info then Browse Episodes to check for future airings.

• Satch
    edited December 2023
    Options

What's up @catchtwentytwo?

I think OP is seeing shows that he/she used to record series with the older guide, and now can't with the new box. Try my above instructions to see if they work.

Satch

• desertcliff
    Options

Satch, the Spectrum Receiver is Humav-210_BOB3AD387030.

I happened to see that 25 Words or Less was on TV yesterday and went to that channel to watch it. I then pressed record and was given the option to record the episode or the series, as had been the case before the new box was installed. However, I used to be able to record a series from the search function or from the Guide and can no longer do either.

Sorry, but it isn't worth it to me to spend further time on this. Thank you all for trying.

This discussion has been closed.