How to set up the "new" MS Outlook for RR mail

Options
jrfk2
jrfk2 Posts: 14 Participant
edited January 16 in Email

I am running Windows 11 and have been using the "old" Mail program but that is being replaced by the "new" Outlook program ..

I have gone in twice to tryout the new Outlook mail and am able to set it up for other email addresses, but I can only receive mail for my Spectrum/Roadrunner email account .. it cannot send mail out from roadrunner only. My other 2 email accounts work fine.

My son also tried and got the same results for his roadrunner email account.

The account was auto-configured by Outlook but from what I have read the IMAP and server settings look correct.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMAP configuration

Hostname

mail.twc.com

Port

Secure connection type

SSL / TLS (recommended)

SMTP configuration

Hostname

mail.twc.com

Port

Secure connection type

StartTLS

Best Answer

Answers

• Lyn_T
    Lyn_T Posts: 393 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

Good evening @jrfk2

Thank you for reaching out to us about your email. You may find Email Setup link helpful. Have you attempted to log in using our Webmail option yet to see if you can send and receive emails? If not, please try this and let us know. -Lyn

• jrfk2
    Options

In my original post above I pasted the settings that Outlook is setting up for me .. I checked and they match the settings in the "Email Setup" link. I also double checked and was able to send mail from the "Webmail option".

So as far as I can tell I am using the correct settings as provided by Spectrum and Outlook defaults to .. yet I cannot send email from my stny.rr.com using Outlook.

Also, Outlook does require an IMAP password I believe it was called, I used my email account password, and that seemed to work as I can receive mail.

• gbuczy
    gbuczy Posts: 3 Spectator
    Options
    SmtpConnectionInvalidResponsePermanentException: Server 'mail.twc.com' Port '587' returned invalid response. Check your SMTP server settings. --> Unexpected SMTP server response. Expected: 220, actual: 554, whole response: 554 p-impout005.msg.pkvw.co.charter.net cmsmtp 40.99.237.21 blocked

• gbuczy
    Options

Can't send messages in new Outlook. I receive the following message

SmtpConnectionInvalidResponsePermanentException: Server 'mail.twc.com' Port '587' returned invalid response. Check your SMTP server settings. --> Unexpected SMTP server response. Expected: 220, actual: 554, whole response: 554 p-impout005.msg.pkvw.co.charter.net cmsmtp 40.99.237.21 blocked

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,085 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

Hi @gbuczy, welcome to our community!

Please make sure you are entering these email server settings. If you have used different ones in the past I recommend removing your email account from Outlook and setting it back up from scratch.

• William_M
    Options

I recommend removing the email account from Outlook and manually setting it up with the provided settings.

• jrfk2
    Options

Thanks .. I tried that before posting out here. Unfortunately same results.

Just to double check .. where it wants the IMAP password (in addition to email account password), I use my email password for IMAP password as well, correct?

Will give it another go just in case, will only update here if it did work the second time, otherwise it'll mean same results ..

• William_M
    Options

Yes, it is your email password.

• jrfk2
    Options

failed, I noticed there are details at the bottom of the message, I think I may have seen someone else out here got the same error:

Technical details

SmtpConnectionInvalidResponsePermanentException: Server 'mail.twc.com' Port '587' returned invalid response. Check your SMTP server settings. --> Unexpected SMTP server response. Expected: 220, actual: 554, whole response: 554 p-impout007.msg.pkvw.co.charter.net cmsmtp 52.96.176.229 blocked. Please see https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/understanding-email-error-codes for more information. AUP#Out-1130

Failure code: 66fc

• jrfk2
    Options

I am getting the same error message and I have triple checked I am using the "email server settings" as detailed by Spectrum, which are also the settings Outlook defaults to ..

• gbuczy
    Options

I checked settings as well and no changes. Sorry to hear you are having the same problem.

• jrfk2
    Options

more details .. error code is 1130 .. and according to the spectrum error codes page:

The IP address you’re trying to connect from has an issue with the Domain Name System. Spectrum requires a full circle DNS for emails to be allowed through. Verify the IP you’re connecting from, and check the IP address to ensure a reverse DNS entry exists for the IP. If the IP address is a Spectrum-provided email address, contact us.

• jrfk2
    Options

Also, contacted Spectrum help, both chat and over the phone, and they said since it works thru webmail, its Outlook's problem and punted on me.

All Outlook is doing is contacting the mail server Spectrum said to use .. sigh ..

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 702 Contributor
    Options

@jrfk2 @gbuczy the IP addresses that each of you've cited are, in fact, lacking a reverse DNS pointer record and therefore aren't going to fly with very many outside spam-conscious SMTP services. Both of them belong to a massive Microsoft Corp. ASN and your best bet would be to contact the network admin of whatever facility network you're on when you have such IP address to let them know about it and find out about the facility's network privacy/security policy and regimen.

🔗https://ipinfo.io/52.96.176.229

🔗https://ipinfo.io/40.99.237.21

🔗https://ipinfo.io/AS8075

• jrfk2
    Options

Whatever facility network I am on .. is that Spectrum's since I use Spectrum for my internet? If so, they already disowned me saying since their webmail version works it's Outlook's problem.

If not Spectrum, then whom and how do i find out?

• jrfk2
    Options

Thanks for the update and link .. I have been using regular mail still but as some point they will sunset it ..

• PKapper
    PKapper Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I am having the SAME problem setting up a new PC using the "New" Outlook.

SmtpConnectionInvalidResponsePermanentException: Server 'mail.twc.com' Port '587' returned invalid response. Check your SMTP server settings. --> Unexpected SMTP server response. Expected: 220, actual: 554, whole response: 554 p-impout003.msg.pkvw.co.charter.net cmsmtp 52.96.37.181 blocked. Please see https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/understanding-email-error-codes for more information. AUP#Out-1130

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 702 Contributor
    edited December 2023
    Options

Not to get too hyperbolic or anything, but 𝜇soft’s email client apps originate more email globally than the rest of them combined and i gather that 𝜇soft is now piloting a new-world compulsory mutual trust relationship email facilitation approach with their baseline freebie new Outlook for Windows that involves syncing and relaying with/through Microsoft Cloud aka “Microsoft sync technology” which has enormous global email spam/scam impact potential. Not a bad thing as far as i’m concerned but i guess it’s just going to be a while before it adequately facilitates every garden-variety SMTP service out there, either by ultimately relaying via 𝜇soft Azure servers or, in any case, 𝜇soft cloud servers that do, in fact, have reverse DNS pointer records. In the meantime, for your garden-variety IMAP/SMTP email services, you might as well stick with Windows Mail or Office Outlook or, if you've a mind to, Mozilla Thunderbird.

• jrfk2
    Options

The current windows "Mail" will supposedly be available in the MS Store until the end of 2024 .. not sure when they actually sunset it .. so I do have some time still.

Coincidentally when my wife had her laptop HD replaced, they configured Thunderbird for her so if I move to something, will probably be that so I can answer questions for her :)

• modifieddriver1
    modifieddriver1 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

My e-mail stopped arriving in my Windows account this morning. Fortunately, I still was able to reach my Spectrum mailbox, but it has been easier for me to access the Windows mailbox, so I'd like to retain that ability. Reading through the above posts, with all of the "computer lingo" has me confused. Are there, somewhere, simple instructions, without all of the technical terms, to help we "old timers" get back to where we were 2 days ago??

Thanks!

• Haley_B
    Haley_B Posts: 26 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

Hello @modifieddriver1, welcome to our community!

Our email will always work best when using our webmail website. For accessing your email through a third-party server, I do advise removing the email account from the third-party client, in this case Windows Mailbox, and manually setting it up with the proper settings.

This discussion has been closed.