Tuner adapter question

TomH359
TomH359 Posts: 8 Spectator

I am a legacy cable card customer with a cable card & tuning adapter. The tuning adapter stopped working a few weeks ago. I called in and was told that my area is a new high split area and I need a high split converter and could pick one up at the Spectrum store. My wife (who is a Spectrum employee) and I went to the store to get one only to be told they didn't carry them. The store employee told us we had been converted over to high split. We turned in the existing tuning adapter at the store since it wasn't working. The person at the store suggested we call in and try to get one. I did that on Friday and was told that that a truck roll needed to happen which was scheduled for yesterday (Monday) and was also told we had not been converted over to high split yet. The tech showed up on time but he did not have a tuning adapter in his truck. The tech suggested using Panorama to see if she could order one. We tried ordering one last night but there was no option to order a replacement tuning adapter. Perhaps one of the employee moderators could help or point us in the right direction to get a replacement tuning adapter and/or high split converter. Thanks!

Best Answer

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,514 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi @TomH359 -

Sorry for any confusion on this issue. Support for Tuning Adapters ended in September 2023. Beginning January 2023, customers in High Split Conversions areas would have needed a converter to continue using their tuning adapters uninterrupted. You should have been notified by email that tuning adapters were no longer supported and that you can continue to use them as long as they continue to work. Once they no longer work, you can return them or throw them away. Tuning adapters are no longer available and, to my knowledge, the converters are no longer being distributed.

If you are looking to add more receivers, make changes or add different services, then either you or your employee spouse would need to contact employee services. We are unable to assist with making changes on this Community.

Thanks for the question!

Answers

• TomH359

James, again, thank you for the quick response. What bothers me is I was never notified that tuning adapters were going away. I checked each billing statement and didn't see any notification (we get online billing) and if it had been mailed to me, that would have stood out and I would have seen it. I did see price increases on the cable card but nothing that the tuning adapters were changing.

Also, you wrote " Beginning January 2023, customers in High Split Conversions areas would have needed a converter to continue using their tuning adapters uninterrupted." How would one have received a converter to continue to use their tuning adapter? Seems to me if they were providing converters in the past, they could still provide one now.

Thanks!

• James_M

Notifications were sent out in December 2022, here is a copy:

The link for the converter returns an invalid form (not found) https://www.spectrum.net/support/forms/hsc_converter

You can certainly call the number provided above, and they may have more information if the converters are available. However, you mentioned that the tuner was returned, and new tuners cannot be added. If you no longer have an assigned tuner on the account, then new ones will not be available.

• TomH359

Thanks...I still have a cable card and tuner on my bill that I am still paying for. Do you know how the letters were sent? I looked at my December 2022 billing and it was not included in that and I have never received that letter.

• James_M

They were mailed in December 2022, and from what I recall, they were sent as a separate mailing. If you call the billing contact number on your bill, they may be able to remove the monthly fee. Otherwise, it may also have to go through employee services.

• TomH359

Back in January, our Tuning Adapter stopped working. We we told it was because we were converted to high split and needed a high split converter. We were told we had to go to the Spectrum Store to get the HSC. Went there and was told they don't have any and needed a truck roll...had an appointment and the tech didn't bring one. Eventually, got one and hooked it and it doesn't work. Had another tech come out and brought a new cable card and installed it and still no luck. While the tech was on the phone with his support, they said we weren't in a high split area and said we were pre-high split.

My question is should the HSC work in a pre-high split area or do I need to wait until the conversion is finalized later this spring? I think it's weird that my tuning adapter worked fine until last month and the HSC doesn't work. I wonder if the HSC isn't provisioned correctly on the back end.

Thanks!

• James_M

@TomH359

I merged your new post with the previous post, since it is the same topic.

Just to recap the scope of support for tuning adapters; beginning January 2023, a HSC would be needed to continue using CableCards uninterrupted. Beginning September 2023, support for CableCards ended and existing legacy CableCard users can continue to use them while they work. If they stop working, they will need to be replaced with a different supported device, including a standard DVR or a streaming device.

You are welcome to contact either employee services or Cable Card support at 866-532-2598 to see if they can assist, since I believe you still fall under the "existing user" category. However, your question is beyond the scope of support for this community.

Thanks!

• TomH359

Thank you James. I'll just wait and see what happens once the high split is completed in my area. I was told that would occur in April. Do you have access to know if that is still the timeline?

Thanks again!