My Spectrum Internet service is experiencing intermittent drops daily

Options
Puzzled_One
Puzzled_One Posts: 4 Spectator
edited March 26 in Connectivity

I have hi speed 500gb service, Spectrum modem, Orbi router and satellite mesh system, and have been experiencing intermittent service drops, buffering, and skipping/repeating scenes on Spectrum TV channels. When the service works there are no speed issues. Had a tech out on several occasions, changed out exterior lines, replaced wall outlets, replaced modem, swapped for a new router, use a landline for my main PC and wifi for most devices, also using various Roku sticks to get the Spectrum App. Have tried the modem and router in different areas of the house and all internal walls are just wood and drywall. I live near an airport and thought maybe some interference but no neighbors are experiencing the issue. Completely out of ideas on what try…anyone have this issue?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Lyn_T
    Lyn_T Posts: 393 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Good evening @Puzzled_One and Welcome to our Community Forums

Thank you for reaching out to us about our Streaming Services. I am sorry to learn of this concern. I will need to ask a few questions to determine the best course of action. Do you notice any concerns streaming with any other services? Also, have you tried streaming outside of your home? -Lyn

Answers

• Puzzled_One
    Options

Hello Lyn, I have connected my computer to other networks outside my home and do not experience the same issues, but at home it happens with WiFi or wired. Also, this occurs with internet connection to other services and not exclusively Spectrum tv. Always update my router’s firmware when available and set to automatic but have tried different channels too.

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,716 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

Have you tried restarting the Roku and/or restarting the ROKU from the settings menu?

• Puzzled_One
    Options

Hi James, we have restarted each Roku device, rebooted Spectrum service, reset modem/router, replaced some Roku devices, unplugged everything…none of that has any affect on the issue. Also happens throughout the day at various times so I don’t think it’s related to any peak periods.

• James_M
    edited February 20
    Options

Thanks. Are you able to replicate the issue on a different device? Are you getting any error codes?

• Puzzled_One
    Options

Buffering issue occurs on several TVs in different locations, the stuttering and repeating happens on 1 tv primarily but has happened on another a few times (both newer smart tvs), the drops from my pc with wired connection I have not tried another device but will check that out too.

• James_M
    Options

Thanks. If possible, also try testing on a direct connect to the modem to help determine if the issue is isolated to the wireless network. Let us know how it goes.

• RAIST515O
    RAIST515O Posts: 89 Contributor
    Options

Have seen this happen with other apps in the past on older Roku models... especially the sticks and TV's. Sometimes they are a bit short on resources and it causes issues with newer versions of apps. I have since switched to an android box instead. Even the cheap pucks from WallyWorld appear to hold up better than my Roku sticks.

May be worth checking the specs of your model numbers against the wikis to be sure they are not short on RAM or something:

(expand the section for the streaming players and scroll down for a chart that gives all kinds of data on features and specs for each model number)

There is a similar chart on the roku dev site, but the URL will not link properly here.

May be able to paste this in a browser as an https link and get to it though:

developer.roku.com/docs/specs/hardware.md

This discussion has been closed.