Arris DCX3600 Won't Turn On

Options
DaveinCharlotte
DaveinCharlotte Posts: 40 Contributor
edited April 4 in TV Equipment

Every few days my set-top box refuses to turn on. Pressing the remote's Power button doesn't work. Pressing the remote's System Power button doesn't work. Even pressing the Power button on the box itself doesn't work. The only thing that works is unplugging the box and re-booting.

Does this mean my box is defective, or could it have something to do with the Spectrum updates?

Answers

• catchtwentytwo
    catchtwentytwo Posts: 144 Contributor
    edited March 1
    Options

You should try replacing the remote first, either in person at a nearby Spectrum store or call Spectrum and ask them to ship a replacement. Replacement remotes are free to subscribers.

• DaveinCharlotte
    Options

But the problem exists even when I'm NOT using the remote. Pressing the Power button on the box doesn't turn it on. Are you saying a defective remote could somehow cause the box to turn itself permanently off?

• Jaleesa_F
    Jaleesa_F Posts: 371 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

Hello @DaveinCharlotte

Welcome to Community Forums! Sorry to hear that the cable isn't powering on for you, we are happy to look into this. The power cord for the cable box is detachable, have checked to make sure that it is securely connected to the cable box? Do you have the power for the cable box plugged into a power strip? Or directly into a power outlet?

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 724 Contributor
    Options

Just in case it's some kind of critical over-temperature shutdown mode, disconnect everything including the co-axial cable from it and pull it out of there and, for good measure, take a vacuum cleaner that has decent suction and run a brush attachment that has good bristle density back and forth and all across the ventilation perforations on the top and sides of the box and then place the box in a well-ventilated space and don't stack it above or below any other electrically powered devices and don't put anything on top it and remove or leave open any applicable cabinet doors and then see what happens.

• DaveinCharlotte
    Options

Jaleesa - Box is plugged into a power strip, same as its been for years. But I don't think it's the power connection, because the clock display remains normal. Just won't turn on, no blue dot. When I reboot, I pull the DC plug out of the back of the box, and then back in; the reboot goes normally and then the box is fine...until the next time..

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,097 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

It sounds like the receiver itself is failing. I recommend exchanging it at a Spectrum store. An appointment with a technician can be scheduled by calling 1-855-707-7328​​​, or if you prefer we can send you a private message to get it set up.

This discussion has been closed.