Any reason why my modem/router seems to be blocking Blink traffic?

Options
TimBaeten
TimBaeten Posts: 10 Spectator

Greetings all, I'm trying to install a Blink camera and it keep failing with incorrect WiFi password (it's not). I've tried the various suggestions/remedies for the internet, and I've worked with Blink support.

The reason I'm beginning to suspect the Spectrum router is doing something is because when I put a mobile hotspot in and connect to the internet via my cell phone and then connect the Blink sync module, it works fine. However, when I connect the hotspot to the back up my Spectrum router, Blink fails. The only change is the upstream internet provider.

Any thoughts? What am I missing? Thanks. Tim

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Lyn_T
    Lyn_T Posts: 393 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Good evening @TimBaeten and Welcome to our Community Forums

Thank you for reaching out to us about setting up your Blink Cameras. I am sorry that you are experiencing a concern setting up the connection. I am not sure what troubleshooting you have already completed. Have you attempted to reset all of your internet equipment? This can be done by unplugging the cable line, power line, and removing the battery backup if you have one for both the modem and the router for a solid 3-5 minutes.  - Lyn

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,723 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

My experience with the Blink cameras I use (they are 3-4 years old) is that they only connect on 2.4Ghz. With cellphone hot spots, you can toggle between 2.4 and 5g, so I'd be interested to know if you were successful only on 2.4g.

The Spectrum router broadcasts 2.4 and 5g simultaneously and the modem will connect using the best signal. This creates a headache sometimes for devices like security cameras, because they use 2.4g exclusively and if the router changes bands automatically before the camera connects, then the connection fails.

The extender might also be causing an issue, but otherwise I would suggest either calling in to have the camera connected while the router is locked on 2.4g (unfortunately you need to call in and have an agent add a temporary lock to the modem). The downside is that you will probably need to reconnect the camera(s) anytime the modem restarts. Another alternative would be to use your own router and manage the WiFi with the router, where you can control the broadcast band and connect the camera more easily.

Hope this helps and let us know if one of the suggestions solves the issue.

Answers

• TimBaeten
    Options

Thanks @Lyn_T, I should have mentioned that I've reset everything, the modem/router and the Blink device. Everything else on the network is working just fine. I should also mention that I tried a Ring device also, it also doesn't connect to it's home servers. Again, the end devices connect just fine when not using the Spectrum wifi, but obviously, they can't use my phone for internet when I'm not there. Tim

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,723 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    edited March 12
    Options

Couple follow up questions:

• Are you having issues with any other devices connecting to WiFi?
    • Have you tried changing the password?
    • Are you using a Spectrum router or your own router? Is it broadcasting 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz?

I have a couple blink cameras and the last one was little finicky to set up, and sometimes requires a couple tries to view the cameras.

• TimBaeten
    Options

Thanks @James_M

To answer your questions:

• Are you having issues with any other devices connecting to WiFi?
    • TGB> No, everything else works just fine. It's just these two doorbells from two different companies
    • Have you tried changing the password?
    • TGB> I haven't, but not sure it would help since the password I'm using works on other devices just fine
    • Are you using a Spectrum router or your own router? Is broadcasting 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz?
    • TGB> I'm using a Spectrum router, broadcasting both 2.4 and 5. But, I also tried putting an extender in between. When the extender is connected to the Spectrum router, I get the failure. When I connect the extender to my phone, the devices work (with no changes on the device side, just the extender).

I should add that I've also swapped out the Blink device with a replacement. Blink support is baffled.

• TimBaeten
    Options

Thanks @James_M, your explanation helps me understand what is probably going on. I'll try your suggestion. Tim

• TimBaeten
    Options

The plot thickens, @James_M. I got a wifi router and am having similar issues getting past the modem. I created two new SSIDs, one for 2.4 and another for 5. I connected the router to the Spectrum modem via ethernet and then connected the Blink camera to the 2.4 SSID. I could not reach the Blink servers. However, when I disconnected the wifi router from the Spectrum modem and connected to the internet via my cell phone hotspot, I can connect to blink. Same wifi router and the same SSID, the only change is the upstream connection to the internet. This is a head scratcher. Tim