I Received an Email from Myself

Options
Chansmom
Chansmom Posts: 2 Spectator

Hello, I've seen these before, though via Hotmail and was able to see the return address and block the address, though a few days ago I received an email from "myself." The body of the email was blank, as was the subject line.

I did try to find the IP address via whois, it shows Latin America, Caribbean.

I didn't respond, I figure it's a scam trying to steal my email via spoof.

My question, has this happen to you? If so, how did you take action?

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• catchtwentytwo
    catchtwentytwo Posts: 144 Contributor
    Options

Welcome to the forums:

You did the right thing by not responding. Unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done because the underlying (hidden) address constantly changes. Best you can do is change your password to something more difficult to guess. Easiest way to do that is to add some symbols between the letters/numbers and don't password you use on other sites.

What device and operating system are you using and which mail program/site do you use?

• Chansmom
    Chansmom Posts: 2 Spectator
    Options

Hi, thank you!

I'm happy to have found this place. I did check the IP address and found it's out of Brazil. Two email addresses attached, I blocked both. From there, changing the password. I use the webmail via roadrunner, I've had the account for about 24 years. I received one a few years ago, strange but I ignored that as well. Still, it's safer to stay on top of these, the things people do to scam, it's despicable.

Windows 10, by the way.

Thanks again!

• Melodye
    Melodye Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I am receiving emails from myself to myself. I view the header information and then block that email address "received from" - However, the spoofing emails keep coming, in fact, more each day. How can I stop this. Getting 30 spam emails a day then spoofing emails keeps me from my real emails. Please help. Thank you.

• ellentk1
    ellentk1 Posts: 41 Contributor
    Options

Spectrum please add a feature to allow us to block countries in the filter rules. So much of the spam I receive ends with .de, Internet country code for Germany. I never get any email from Germany and if I could block messages from specific countries 99% of my spam would disappear.

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,318 Contributor
    Options

Hello,

I agree with @HT_Greenfield,

Those getting these emails should do three things:

1.) Change your password to something strong that users at least one uppercase letter, one number, and a non-alpha-numeric character. (Not a letter or number, for example a dollar sign.)

2.) Install all updates for your operating system and browsers on your PC or device.

3.) Update your anti-virus definitions and run a full scan, following the recommendations for anything that is found.

Satch