Internet Routing problem (not internal routing)

Options
DanR
DanR Posts: 4 Spectator

For the last week (written 3/18/2024) I've suddenly been unable to get past Battle.net screen. When I click PLAY, game locks up. I've done the following:

* removed virus protection

*updated Windows 10 was running under this.

*patched video drivers Nvidia

*ran Windows System File Checker

*tried beta

*Ran game settings command line argument, -disableds

*unintalled d4, removed all directories

*reinstalled D4

*reinstalled Direct X runtime

*reinstalled MSVisual C++

* elevated command prompt: ipconfig release, renew, flushdns

* ran SFC /scannow

EVEN installed on another computer in my house and duplicated problem

ALSO tested game from alternate house, using my credentials AND successfully connected - They are not using SPECTRUM

Additional steps:

Same problems when trying to access Diablo III

On Router: Changed DNS settings from routers default to google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

On Router: turned off parental controls

Settings menu unchecked Use Browser hardware acceleration

Diablo 4 server for US Central region: 34.170.230.40 (central US)

Disabled ip6, no change so reenabled

Since I've run this game for years and up till a week ago it was fine, tried different PC's, tried everything above, I'm leaning towards an Internet Routing issue with Spectrum. I've opened a trouble ticket but been unable to get this escalated.

Has anyone had a similar problem with a specific game?

Answers

• RAIST515O
    RAIST515O Posts: 90 Contributor
    edited March 20
    Options

Have you flushed out the rest of the potential local security related issues? (Like Firewall and port forwarding (using UPnP or manual forwards). Sometimes a .exe can start getting blocked by the rules when it's version changes in an update. Not often... but sometimes software security just has a brainfart--removing then adding the rule back may kick it back in gear again.

A good cache flushing may be in order as well. Not just ip config, but the hardware as well (ie: power everything off for a while). This isn't something isolated to just consoles... sometimes modems/routers need it also. Sometimes they may benefit from a reset to factory defaults to try dumping things like ARP data and such.

• RAIST515O
    RAIST515O Posts: 90 Contributor
    Options

Another angle you may wan to test against is your public IP somehow getting on a bad actors list.

Can try using a VPN, provided the games still work with them (haven't played via battle.net since the earlier days of D3).

Windscribe and Proton have good free use plans for testing. Should note that some network drivers may not get along too well with IKE2 encryption protocols (can cause blue screen crashes)--if you run into that, switch the protocol off of auto/smart select and use OpenVPN options instead (may be listed as just UDP or TCP with no mention of the weaker IPSec approaches)

• DanR
    Options

Good comments and point, I’ll investigate further and let you know.

• DanR
    Options

The router was dismissed as potential problem early on by connecting the PC directly to the modem and bypassing it (the router). Thanks anyways.

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,085 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

Are you able to test your computer on a different network, and/or enable a VPN?

• DanR
    Options

Thanks William, I was able to resolve the problem. My earlier testing was flawed and once i moved my PC to another ISP was able to verify that the problem was with my PC. Re-running all my earlier tests resolved the problem.