Frequent internet lag with Netgear C7000-100NAS (DOCSIS 3.0) - Upgrade to 3.1 or troubleshoot?

Options
XRayAdamo
XRayAdamo Posts: 5 Spectator

Hi everyone,

I'm experiencing frequent internet lag with my Netgear C7000-100NAS modem (DOCSIS 3.0). My current plan offers download speeds of 300 Mbps and upload speeds of 10 Mbps.

For the past few months, I've had to restart the modem at least once a day to resolve the lagging. Sometimes, the issue is so severe that I can't even access the router's web interface to check logs.

I'm unsure if the problem lies with the modem itself or something else in my network setup. Ideally, I'd like to avoid purchasing a new modem if the issue isn't related to DOCSIS 3.0 limitations.

However, if upgrading to a DOCSIS 3.1 modem would significantly improve my internet stability, I'm open to that option.

Any advice on troubleshooting steps or insights on whether a DOCSIS 3.1 upgrade would be beneficial would be greatly appreciated!

Lagging exists on wired and wireless connections as well

Answers

• RAIST515O
    RAIST515O Posts: 90 Contributor
    edited March 20
    Options

Before investing in a new modem by yourself, could try one of theirs first.

There is one small caveat to be aware of though--the $5/month wireless management fee... as I suspect that is a router/modem combo so you are not using a standalone router?

If you are using your own seperate router, could get a standard modem from them (or they could switch the NAT mode on their combo unit so it runs as a straight passthrough modem) and avoid that $5 fee when using their equipment.

Going forward, that may be something worth considering if you do have a combo unit--using seperate devices so you just have to worry about troubleshooting and/or replacing just the component having issues... in which case, free modem replacement from them.

Sure... replacing my Asus router ran just shy of $160 last year--but the Asus router it replaced had been in service almost 10 years. This new one also has built in OpenVPN support, as well as Asus own free DDNS option--which is a real boon for me (have my own free private VPN into my home network). Don't expect I will be replacing this router anytime soon.

But, if I do stick with Spectrum when all my incentives wear out this spring, I may eventually be dropping my old modem as it has finally dropped off their supported list. The Arris SB8200 3.1 modems are starting to drop (seen mfg. refurbished well below $100), so may grab one of them if I don't like what the local office provides for free.

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 707 Contributor
    Options

Not much help but, just f.y.i., all i can figure is that the "-100NAS" part of reseller "C7000-100NAS" referred to the specific OEM type of box that the OEM would ship each C7000 to the reseller in (obviously nothing to do with "Network Attached Storage.") If it's a C7000, not to be confused with the C7000v2, then yours would presumably be grandfathered in, i guess, but, while the C7000v2 is currently listed as authorized, the C7000 isn't.

šŸ”—https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/compliant-modems-spectrum-network

So, on the one hand, i'd be inclined to upgrade. On the other, the spectral density of DOCSIS 3.1 pushes the forward error correction envelope far more than 3.0 and your ISP isn't necessarily going to push 3.1 for every tier, anyway (DOCSIS 3.1 modems can and will do 3.0 as required.)

• XRayAdamo
    Options

Netgear C7000 (unsure of revision)

I primarily rely on a separate Nest Wifi Pro system for my wireless devices (utilizing Wi-Fi 6E). Netgear C7000 router offers Wi-Fi 5 and 2.4 GHz bands. However, I only utilize the 2.4 GHz band on the router for specific smart home devices like KASA plugs. The rest of my wireless devices connect through the Nest Wifi Pro system. My wired network consists of 5-7 devices connected directly or through an unmanaged switch.

While the C7000 offers NAS features (100NAS), I don't utilize them.

Despite years of flawless operation, daily modem restarts are now necessary. Cable connection analysis shows no problems. Rebooting the modem temporarily fixes the issue, leading me to suspect a modem malfunction.

• XRayAdamo
    Options

After checking labels on modem, I have found that it is not v2. And ti is not is a list of supported modems

• XRayAdamo
    Options

Thanks for clarification, but my question was not about NAS, but rather upgrading to DOCSIS 3.1 while having only 300Mbps down speed.

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 707 Contributor
    edited March 28
    Options

You're welcome. One way you would hopefully be able find out for sure with nothing to lose would be to get a DOCSIS 3.1 modem from Spectrum, since they don't charge anything extra for it, and try it out for a while and then presumably be able to go back to the old hulk or else a new 3.1 modem of your own anytime you want.

• modemaniam
    modemaniam Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Hey everyone!

I had a similar issue where the wifi would just stop for a minute twice a day. I have my own Netgear modem/router and when I chatted with someone they said that they switched to 3.1 and since my router was only 3.0 that I would need a new unit. I will have it installed tomorrow and see if that helps me.

I hope this helped.

• XRayAdamo
    Options

Please keep us informed!