Will the new Spectrum boxes connect to Tvs that are NOT Smart TVs?

Options
DaveKhanoyan
DaveKhanoyan Posts: 3 Spectator
edited March 27 in TV Equipment

Will the new Spectrum boxes connect to Tvs that are NOT Smart TVs?

Best Answers

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,729 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi & welcome!

Are you referring to traditional DVR boxes or Xumo devices?

• DaveKhanoyan
    DaveKhanoyan Posts: 3 Spectator
    Answer ✓
    Options

James,

I currently have a cable box connected to a plasma TV with 6 RCA cables (3 for audio and 3 for video). My TV does NOT have HDMI input/output. Spectrum refers to my current cable box as a “legacy box”. I have no intention to purchase a replacement TV.

Dave K.

• Renee_T
    Renee_T Posts: 682 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

While our newer boxes do come with HDMI connections as the default, if you have a Spectrum store near you, they do carry some adaptors for RCA connections that they can provide. I know they carry the standard RCA adapters, but I'm not sure if they have the 6 prong ones. If for some reason they don't have the exact one that's needed, adapters can be purchased at an electronics store or online as well.

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 718 Contributor
    edited March 28 Answer ✓
    Options

Spectrum's latest 110 (non-DVR) and 210 (DVR) "worldbox" cable TV set-top boxes don't feature the older analog component video outputs; just HDMI. At least some of the more mature boxes, e.g. Arris/Motorola DCX, still in deployment and possibly available for swap at your local Spectrum store, have both. If your "legacy" box is so current as to have HDMI in addition to component video, i'd forget about it. But if your box is so old as to be SD-only (non-HD) and your old plasma TV does at least 720p HD, then i'd definitely take the box in to the store and try to swap it out for an HD box that includes component video.

Also, for what little it may be worth, i'm pretty sure there are some non-smart HD TV's on the market as well as some smart models that support entirely disabling the built-in smarts, and cable and satellite TV set-top box HDMI will work with all of them, as will streaming devices, like Xumo, that have their own smarts.

Answers