Bridge Mode for Spectrum Business Static IP

Options
DG1997
DG1997 Posts: 1 Newcomer
edited March 28 in Connectivity

Hello,

We had the required RAC2V1K router installed for a static IP on a spectrum business line. We are trying to get the static IP pushed through to our firewall. The on-site tech mentioned that if we assigned the assigned static IP to our firewall behind the RAC2V1K router that the router was set to auto-bridge. Reading online, it looks like some of the spectrum routers see the ARP packet and automagically bridge the IP to the firewall and get rid of the double NAT. I understand that the RAC2V1K router is required for the static IP configuration even behind the modem as it has the RipV2 key to hold the static assignment but have seen posts of countless other businesses getting rid of the double NAT and doing true IP passthrough/bridge mode off of the RAC2V1K router.

We can't have the double NAT in place both due to hosted services on the public IP and it eliminates the ability for us to have our firewall rules filtered on actual public IPs vs the Spectrum business gateway's default RFC 1918 subnet.

I called the spectrum phone support line and they instead disabled the firewall settings on the Spectrum RAC2V1K router and said they couldn't help with our equipment as their equipment was showing green. Firewall settings aren't equal to bridge mode or IP passthrough.

Meanwhile on my firewall, I'm seeing "Received conflicting ARP on interface <interface> indicating duplicate IP <assigned static IP>, sender mac <spectrum business gateway>" so it looks like the auto-bridge is in fact not working as the spectrum business gateway isn't going into bridge mode and instead conflicting with us statically setting the IP on our internal firewall just inside the RAC2V1K router.

Do I need to call spectrum back until I get a tech that does understand the difference between bridge mode and disable the firewall or just leave the conflicting arp in place until the router auto-bridges?