Frequently, when reading emails in webmail, much of the content (including links) are missing.

Options
tgordon2
tgordon2 Posts: 9 Spectator

When reading emails in webmail, I frequently find that much of the text, including any links, are missing.Sometimes all that is visible is the unsubscribe link. I have to read these emails on my IPhone Mail app or download to my email client on my computer to read these emails.

Sometimes, right clicking on the email and selcting "open link in browser" will work, but not often enough. The only setting I have found is "automatically show images in emails" which I have set to on.

Best Answer

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,755 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

@tgordon2

You are correct, the screenshot included your email. You can see your own email, but that email is blocked from other users, more for personal privacy than anything else. You are also unable to see the registration email of other users.

Thanks!

Answers

• Renee_T
    Renee_T Posts: 685 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

Hello @tgordon2

That's definitely a strange one, I've not heard of that specific issue. What browser are you using? Also, do you have anything like dark mode turned on?

• tgordon2
    Options

I primarily use Firefox but have tried Chrome just to see if it helped (it didn't). And this is on both an old Windows 7 desktop and a newer Windows 11 Laptop.

I don't know what Dark Mode is. If it has anything to do with Biden, I won't :-(

• Renee_T
    Renee_T Posts: 685 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

Thank you. Dark Mode would be either an option that can be turned on in the browser settings or through an extension on the browser that would turn the background of websites a dark grey or black color to make them easier to read.

• tgordon2
    Options

I still had no idea what Dark Mode was so I did a search. As best I could figure it has something to do with reading web sites at night so you don't hurt your eyes 🙄. Sounds crazy, but I don't see how it would cause a problem like this, but it's academic since I'm sure I'm not using it. In fact, from what little research I did, it looks like it's available only in Windows 10/11, and my main computer is running Windows 7 because the hardware won't support Windows 10 or above

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,107 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

Dark mode is when the text is changed to a light color like white, and the background is changed to a dark color like black or dark gray. Different extensions or programs can be used to accomplish this but they are available on just about every operating system.

Are you able to share a screenshot of an email with the missing text?

• tgordon2
    Options

I delete these after I look at them. Next time I'll take a screenshot.

• tgordon2
    edited April 5
    Options

I finally captured a screenshot of one of these virtually empty emails. Hope this helps.

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 728 Contributor
    edited April 5
    Options

Thank you for sharing this. It has been an eye-opener. All i can figure is that "automatically" doesn't mean always/unconditionally. When spammers relay via MS Exchange with anonymous cross-tenant auth (look for "X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-AuthAs: Anonymous" in the spam message header, which may take some serious scrolling), the MS Exchange relay server itself will attachmentize embedded images so they won't display unless you hit the attachment in order to display the potentially malicious spam image(s).

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,107 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

Thanks for the screenshot @tgordon2, but I've deleted it as it contained some personal information of yours. It looks like the email just doesn't contain text. An easy way to check is to press Ctrl+A (which will select all,) Ctrl+C (which will copy your selection,) then open notepad and use Ctrl+V (to paste.) If there's text of any kind that's just not visible due to some kind of formatting or color issue, it should be visible when pasted into notepad. That being said, that specific email looks like phishing and I wouldn't recommend doing anything with it other than marking it as spam/deleting it. Definitely do not download the attachment, unless you have actually recently placed an order with a company like that and trust them.

• tgordon2
    Options

Thanks for deleting the screenshot to protect my info, but the only thing I thought it had was my email address, which I think is in my profile here on the Spectrum Forum. Was there something else? Just curious.