Didn't find what you were looking for?

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Can DVR recordings be recovered if they appear to be deleted? User did not erase them.

Stephenail
Stephenail Posts: 1 Newcomer
edited September 9 in TV Equipment

All recordings simply disappeared recently. All gone at once. No user action involved at all.

I will be quite surprised if these recordings are recoverable but thought I would ask before switching out the box

Answers

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 5,048 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Hi & welcome!

While it is rare, this can happen and is usually a sign of a failing hard drive. Depending on the programming, most is available OnDemand, but once they are deleted from the DVR, they are not recoverable. We recommend swapping out the cable box at a local store for a new cable box to avoid any future issues.

Thanks!

• Susan08069803
    Susan08069803 Posts: 1 Newcomer

last month, all of my recordings and schedule of shows to be recorded were deleted. After wasting 2 hours on with support, they escalated the issue saying someone would call me back. 48 hours later I received an email saying the issue had been corrected and the case closed. I called again and was told they could not recover anything. I spent time setting up my schedule of shows

today, again, all shows and schedule have been deleted. I had plenty of storage space

need to understand if spectrum is going to fix this or if I need to start shopping around for a new provider

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,594 Contributor

Good Evening,

It is rare, but sometimes software updates to the boxes can delete shows as well. Being with cable for decades, I tell customers to remember that a DVR is not a permanent storage archive. I recommend watching content as soon as possible, to a range of no more than a month later to keep program storage management in check.

For those who lost shows, was it only fully recorded shows? Or was it scheduled shows and series that have not yet been recorded? Or are scheduled shows and series still intact?

In this case, I recommend the following:

1.) Cold reboot your box by turning everything off and than unplugging it from the wall, or turning off the surge protector switch for five minutes. Than reboot:

2.) Watch recorded content within a month's time. Delete the recorded content after watching.

3.) If shows are still being deleted after trying steps 1 and 2, call Spectrum to request a tech visit to check if you signals and drop line are OK. New equipment won't replace signal or line problems. Updated lines and wiring will do that.

4.) If your on site technician finds no problems with your signals or wiring, he/she will replace the box.

Satch

This discussion has been closed.