Didn't find what you were looking for?

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

The Spectrum App on my new xumo keeps buffering

rixbury
rixbury Posts: 11 Participant

All streaming applications like netflix, amazon etc. work fine, but when I want to watch live TV on the app it constantly buffers. I have reset it recently and consistently have the issue no matter when or what channel I turn to. What do I need to do?

Best Answer

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 5,087 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi & welcome!

Buffering is usually a connectivity issue, what troubleshooting have you tried already?

Answers

• Dasman207
    Dasman207 Posts: 6 Spectator

following with same issue…..did not have this buffer (freezing) problem a month or so, it's relatively new

• rixbury

Yeah, I noticed it about a month ago and went through all the resets and Internet works great in that area of the house….so I feel like did all the troubleshooting. Super annoying though considering this is half of the reason I have spectrum.

• rixbury

I did all the resetting and checked the Internet down there and are no issues. Netflix and ALL other apps work just fine. This is definitely a Spectrum app issue.

• James_M

Are you getting an error code?

• rixbury

No error codes. It acts like all of the other articles on here. I go to the guide, select the channel..any channel, and it immediately buffers then plays blurry…buffers, plays etc. every few seconds.

• James_M
    edited June 17

Thanks. I was able to locate your account using your registration information. Looks like the modem has been online for over 11 days. Can you try restarting the modem and let us know that corrects the issue?

• rixbury

Ok, reset the modem again and didn't change anything. Netflix works great. I can stream just fine in the browser. It is literally the app on the Xumo device that just shows 3 dots, then blurry show and pausing every few seconds while it buffers.

• James_M

Thanks. Live TV on the Spectrum app is different from Netflix. Live TV can be affected by signal issues and interference to a greater degree than digital programming like Netflix that is preloaded before you start watching.

I am seeing that the bitrate for the app is very low, meaning you are getting wireless interference. Are you able to connect the Xumo directly to the modem using an ethernet cable and test it again?

• rixbury

It is a bit of an undertaking, but can try that later. (My dad suffered a stroke and is constantly watching something). This worked just fine when we first set this up, but I will see if I can clear some things around it. The tech sold us on this solution and it worked well. It doesn't seem like I am alone on this either…are there other options that are more robust?

• rixbury

Ok, I tried it again and now is just a black screen, or a few min later showed the channel ESPN with a button to Get More Information, but nothing worked…it just stayed like that then went black again. I did try the Xumo Live Guide and that worked just fine…but I have no idea what that is as it isn't regular live TV…so is unusable.

• James_M

Does the same thing happen if you stream the app on a different device, such as a smartphone? Have you tested a different app on the Xumo?

• rixbury

The only thing I have access to is through the browser and that works fine. I do that daily. I have it on on my phone and it works fine too. I even walked all levels of the house.

I did test another app on the Xumo that was Xumo Live TV and that worked fine too.

• rixbury

Checking back in on this. Is there another device we can use where the app will perform better? I doesn't make sense that everything else live works fine (and I understand Netflix is different) but the one main important app and why I am paying a monthly payment for it isn't working.

• James_M

I am seeing that the app is running on a laptop with no errors, but you are still getting a connectivity error with the Xumo. The Spectrum TV app is also supported on Samsung TV's and Roku. You can try using one of the other supported devices and see if you get a better streaming experience. Another alternative would be to use a traditional cable box in the room where Xumo is having difficulty connecting.

• rixbury

Only issue with another cable box…which is my preference is that they can't hardwire anything in that room. I will see about getting a Roku and returning the Xumo. Thank you.

• rixbury

Ok, so I ordered a Roku Plus and everything works GREAT now. So it is definitely the Xumo for some reason or another, but now I need to know how to return the thing so I can stop getting charged for something that I can't use. How do I go about doing that?

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,292 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

I'm glad things are working better with the Roku! Please call 1-855-707-7328​​​ if you'd like to cancel the Xumo rental, they will go over return options with you then.

This discussion has been closed.