Why is my internet speed vary so greatly from day to night?

Options
James2418
James2418 Posts: 4 Spectator
edited June 21 in Connectivity

I checked my download Wifi speed earlier this afternoon, and on my phone and computers, was getting over 200 Mbps. However, this evening, 9pm, it was only showing 20 -29 Mbps. I can understand it varying some throughout the day, but by as much as 10 Times? That seems a bit. What's the point of having a 300 Mbps service, when half the time it's only working at 1/10 the speed?

Tagged:

Answers

• Renee_T
    Renee_T Posts: 711 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    edited June 24
    Options

Hello @James2418

I apologize for any speed issues. There are a number of things that can cause WiFi drop off from distance to the router, wireless interference, bandwidth usage on the other devices on the network at the same time, which network the device is connected to, etc. Are all of the devices using a wireless connection or do you have wired devices as well?

• RAIST515O
    RAIST515O Posts: 130 Contributor
    Options

Sounds like you may have been connecting on the 2.4ghz band instead of the 5ghz?

Can make a huge difference.

The lower frequency can reach further and stands a better chance of getting through walls and such... but there is a price to pay for that.

Less bandwidth (slower transfers)

Many more devices that can interfere with signal (microwaves, telephones, Bluetooth... among other things)

• James2418
    James2418 Posts: 4 Spectator
    Options

I don't think it can be too many devices, obstacles between me and the router, or connecting to 2.4 vs 5ghz band, because I'm using the same devices, in the same location, just at different times of the day.
    We recently had a new modem, as the Spectrum service guy said it wasn't working right. Now I wonder if the router itself is presenting issues?

I also wonder why I am not able to change my username, as it's James 2418, but keeps showing up as Names2418, when I go to the profile page, hit edit, then click on the pen icon, nothing happens, it won't let me change it, isn't that odd?