Didn't find what you were looking for?

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

TV went out today, calls to Spectrun indicate no outage.

deedleann824
deedleann824 Posts: 130 Contributor
edited August 28 in TV Equipment

Locale - near Albany, NY. There was a known outage on Friday of all cable services. Saturday the same thing happened. This morning the TV went out, but not the Internet or phone. A call to Spectrum indicated there was no known outage. What's going on with all these outages?

Answers

• Jaleesa_F
    Jaleesa_F Posts: 497 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Hello, sorry to hear that you were experiencing service issues. Has your service been restored?

• deedleann824

Yes, for now. I was asking because I wanted to know the cause of the outages.

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,668 Contributor

There can be several reasons for outages:

1.) If they are between 12AM-6AM these are planned maintenance outages, where Spectrum does updates to the network. This is the most often cause. Anything or just one thing can be affected, or a combination of (cable TV, Internet, Voice (Landline Phone) or Mobile Phone could be affected. Even though Mobile Phone has a separate Department and separate billing from all other Spectrum Services.

2.) If they are outside of the maintenance window mentioned above, and they are occurring like every couple of days to weeks, like during the day when you are watching TV, browsing Internet, or on the phone, I would contact Spectrum for a service call.

@Deedleann, I am concerned about the frequency of your outages. If they not occurring between the 12am-6am maintenance window, I would call Spectrum and say, I am losing all services very often, (give a time frame) and would like to get a tech out to check my signals and line. The tech check will be free, and you should contact them.

If the outages are occurring between 12am-6am, not much you can do because that is their maintenance window. What are they doing is never said explicitly. But I would suspect that it could be updating their network in your area for faster Internet Speeds. (This will require their latest modems, and if you want the faster speeds, you may have to pay more for your Internet.) Today, all of Spectrum's services are related to the cloud and Internet technology. (Networks, Signals, Lines.)

Deedleann, I would set up a tech visit for a signal and line test. That many issues outside of the 12am-6am maintenance window is not normal.

Satch

• deedleann824

I had a tech here in April because the cable box was out and wouldn't re-boot. He replaced the box and checked the drop line and replaced that, too. Could it go bad so soon? HE also said they are phasing out the cable boxes and transitioning to Xuma, but my old TV wouldn't be compatible with that.

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,292 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Nothing should degrade that fast, but new electronic devices can come with manufacturing defects causing early failure, and anything can be damaged at any time.

Your TV would need an HDMI port in order to use a Xumo or similar product.

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,668 Contributor

Had a tech here in April because the cable box was out and wouldn't re-boot. He replaced the box and checked the drop line and replaced that, too. Could it go bad so soon? HE also said they are phasing out the cable boxes and transitioning to Xuma, but my old TV wouldn't be compatible with that.

I agree with @William_M It's not important when the tech was last there. It's important that your service works well, and you should get this issue checked out, in fact the cable box not booting and your services being interrupted a little too much should be checked, because that is a different thing.

Spectrum is now pushing the XUMO for all new customers, unless they specify in the work order that they want a traditional STB or DVR. I really hope that the traditional boxes stay around for a long time as an option. Have an elderly person who hates change living with me, and there's no way she could use the XUMO. The Smart TV remote on our Samsung is such a nightmare even for me that I only use that remote when I have to do that. We also have Spectrum Voice and rely very heavily on Caller ID on TV, a feature you can't get with Xumo.

I think Spectrum will keep traditional boxes at least as backup request for some time. Look at Road Runner email. A legacy Time Warner Cable service from twenty years ago. However, too many people need that because they have a lot of business accounts tied into that. I think the same is true with traditional STB's and DVR's. I am an old school cable guy, and have never been able to get into streaming.

Satch

• deedleann824

I can't log in anymore to my RoadRunner email account.

• catchtwentytwo
    catchtwentytwo Posts: 169 Contributor

@deedleanne: You should start a new post about this problem since the original one is titled "TV went out today, calls to Spectrum indicate no outage" . You'll probably get a quicker response.

This discussion has been closed.