Didn't find what you were looking for?

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Is there a way to block ALL phone numbers starting with 800?

deedleann824
deedleann824 Posts: 130 Contributor
edited August 28 in Digital Phone

I am getting a lot of annoying calls from 800 numbers.

Answers

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,668 Contributor

Good afternoon,

Go to My Account, and go to Digital Phone and make sure that Call Guard's two main features are turned on

Call Guard

Spam ID

Also Call Guard now has Spam Filtering Levels. Read below for more information about them:

Low Filter- Blocks known malicious calls only

Medium Filter- Blocks known malicious calls, spammers, and telemarketers

High Filter- Blocks known malicious calls, spammers, Telemarketers, and Robocalls.

I would set your Spam Filter to High. (Don't forget to change your settings.)

Satch

• deedleann824

Yes, I have the filter set on HIGH and Call Guard is on, but I still get annoying spam calls.

• Satch

@deedleann824,

Are the spam calls able to leave messages? Do they just hang up? (Or do they do both?) Do they come up as "Spam Risk?" I would call Spectrum and say that your Voice Zone is not blocking spam 800 numbers. There might be something on your account that needs investigating. Is it only 800 numbers that are not being blocked? When did this problem start?

Satch

• catchtwentytwo
    catchtwentytwo Posts: 169 Contributor

If you haven't already done so, report spam calls that aren't blocked by Call Guard here: https://spamreport.spectrum.com/charter/

• deedleann824

They don't show as "spam risk", just "Toll Free Call". None has left a message.

• catchtwentytwo
    edited July 9

There is a category for "Calling Party Hung Up" so use that. Also, do a Google search on the number using this format "(800) xxx-xxxx" and check the results. No legitimate company would hang up without leaving a message or if the call was important.

• deedleann824

I didn't see "Calling Party Hung Up" in my account. Does it matter if it's a cell or land line phone?

There are just too many different numbers to try to block or report. When I looked them up online that ALL indicate that are coming from a debt collection agency. So far they've used 17 different numbers. It's no use to try to block in that case.

• catchtwentytwo
    edited July 9

It doesn't matter if you have digital voice or mobile service as long as they are with Spectrum. Reporting the spammer phone numbers won't immediately block them but will help the Call Guard algorithm learn that they are a problem.

As for blocking all 800 numbers, that probably isn't a good idea since legitimate calls would be blocked as well.

• Satch
    edited July 9

It doesn't matter if you have digital voice or mobile service as long
    as they are with Spectrum. Reporting the spammer phone numbers won't
    immediately block them but will help the Call Guard algorithm learn that
    they are a problem.

As for blocking all 800 numbers, that probably isn't a good idea since legitimate calls would be blocked as well.

Agree with the above,

Don't block all 800 numbers, and you shouldn't even have to report all 17. Start by reporting only five and look for patterns of the same numbers or similar numbers in the prefix of the 800 number.

For example, the prefix might be a series of 548 numbers that go 548, 549, 550, 551, 552, 553, 554, On the Spam Feedback Form, reporting the 548-552 on the form, shows that the domain numbers of 548- 552 and above, are a problem and are not being blocked. If you get those first five reported, you don't have to do the remaining twelve prefixes, because they all originate from the same spammy credit agency,

You can go even further with this by reporting this company to the FCC. There are help and tips here:

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/stop-unwanted-robocalls-and-texts

Scroll down this site and look at the right hand side and click on "File a complaint or share your story."

Additionally, the Better Business Bureau has information on how you can report scams if you are a victim of a scam, or believe you are the target of a scam. Here is help with that:

https://www.bbb.org/scamtracker

Reporting thus scam to these agencies should stop these scam 800 calls from this company.

Satch

• deedleann824

Thanks for all the advice.

This discussion has been closed.