Higher numbered channels on spectrum receiver dark, but I can see

Angbradley
Angbradley Posts: 1 Newcomer
edited August 28 in TV Equipment

Channel 60 on the receiver is dark, but I can see it on the Spectrum App and broadcast to TV using Air Play.
many of the channels around 60 are also dark

I have already rebooted the receiver.

Answers

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,558 Contributor
    edited July 21

Welcome to the Community @Angbradley,

Some questions here:

1.) On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the brightest and 1 being the darkest, what is your standard brightness level for watching all programing?

2.) What is the number for the brightness level when you go to channel 60, and the channels around 60?

3.) Is brightness level normal before you get to channel 60? At what channel number on the cable box does the brightness return to normal?

4.) Any changes to the settings on your TV? Check those to be sure. Kids playing with buttons?

5.) When did this problem start happening?

6.) Any changes to the account, especially TV service? New box? swapped box?

7.) Any storms or bad weather in the area within the last week?

8.) Is Brightness Optimization turned on or off on your TV? This is a setting that adjusts for room light by raising or lowering the brightness accordingly. When turned on, a minimum brightness setting can be adjusted for how low you want this setting. Brightness Optimization only works when that setting is lower than your standard brightness setting.

The general rule for brightness or black level settings on a TV, is don't set those too high. Setting them too high can cause issues like backlight bleeding or other damage to the screen over time. Don't use Dynamic or Vivid contrast for similar reasons.

You generally want brightness or black level to be at no more than 50% of what the max is for your set. For example, if your black level maxes out at 50, don't go higher than 25 on that setting.

It is normal to have some brightness fluctuations on channels. If your comfort brightness is at a number 6, you might get some channels where it looks like an 8 or a 4 on either side. If you are within that arbitrary range, I wouldn't worry.

However, if your brightness level is a 6/10 and you are tuning to those channels and it's like a 2 or a 1, something is wrong. Answer the above questions as best you can to determine next steps.

Satch

This discussion has been closed.