Didn't find what you were looking for?

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

New DVR Has No Display

kgoss216
kgoss216 Posts: 1 Newcomer
edited September 9 in TV Equipment

My old DVR stopped working so I switched to the new one and was very disappointed to discover it has no display. Not only does it not show the time, it doesn't even show what channel you're on. This is so disorienting and makes me concerned I won't know when there's an issue. The old system would show reset and error messages-this one looks broken or off all the time because it looks like there should be a display and there isn't. If I had known it didn't have this very basic functionality I would have requested to stay with the old DVR model.

Comments

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,635 Contributor
    edited August 1

Hello and Welcome!

Unfortunately the newer boxes are "clockless." Being an old school cable guy, I miss the clock boxes. The other cable providers and other vendor receivers are the same way though. My theory is that they did not want to put a clock on the boxes anymore, because people can just look or ask for the time on their electronic devices. You have to press the Guide button with your box and TV on, to now see the time.

You can try to get an older DVR model with a clock, but there are problems with that:

1.) You never know what a Spectrum store will have in stock.

2.) The older boxes are all refurbished models, so their "clock life" may be "ticking away."

3.) You will be reduced from the ability to record four shows at once, down to two shows at once.

I would recommend spending twenty bucks and get a digital clock that you can put in a cabinet or on a table in the room where your TV and cable box are located. I just went to Amazon and typed in Digital Clocks and they have some really cool looking ones that look modern and are very inexpensive. They literally look like the display on the old clock boxes! Here you are:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=digital+clocks&crid=1LDX41CN2QOQW&sprefix=digital+clocks+%2Caps%2C162&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Be sure not to cover up any vent holes on the box if you put your clock on the box. If you have a cabinet, I would put the clock next to the box allowing some ventilation space in between.

Satch

This discussion has been closed.