Didn't find what you were looking for?

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

World Box availability

Terry_McCann
Terry_McCann Posts: 18 Participant
edited September 24 in TV Equipment

I've been reading a lot about a Spectrum DVR called the "World Box" and wonder whether it is available in my market.

Answers

• catchtwentytwo
    catchtwentytwo Posts: 169 Contributor

You can ask your neighbors to see what DVR they are using. Or if you see a Spectrum truck, ask the technician if World Boxes are in use in your area.

Do you have a Spectrum store nearby? If yes, take your present DVR with you and see if a World Box is available.

You might want to avoid calling in to speak with a CSR because despite what they promise you, the Spectrum Warehouse may send whatever DVR is on the "top of the pile".

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,665 Contributor

Hi Terry,

What is the make and model of the DVR that you have now, and what guide do you have on your box? If you are not sure, Google "What guide do I have", Spectrum. One of the first Spectrum sites will be a list of all the guides that Spectrum offers. The first guide described on the page will probably be the new Spectrum Guide. That is the guide that is on the World Boxes.

Also are you in a former legacy Charter market, a former legacy TWC (Time Warner Cable) market, or a former Brighthouse Networks market? This is before all three companies merged and became Spectrum several years ago.

Satch

• Terry_McCann

Satch: Man, I gotta get you on my speed dial! We have two DVRs and the models are DCX3501MHD-DVR and DCX3510MHD-DVR. I found the page (https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/which-guide-do-i-have-twc) and none of the images look like the guide we see. I'll attach and picture of what we have.

I'm sure we are in the legacy Charter market since we haven't had any dealings with Time Warner or Brighthouse.

Terry

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,665 Contributor

Thanks for the update Terry,

I am one of the old school tech people who believe. "Don't fix what's not broken." There are two types of service calls that Spectrum can generate. The rep wither enters "T-Troubleshoot" or "U-Upgrade" depending on the caller's description on whether he/she wants to upgrade services, equipment, or has a problem.

If it is a Troubleshoot Call- And it is related to Spectrum equipment or their signals or line checks on their network, that is free.

If it is an Upgrade Call- Where you rent your router, modem, or both from Spectrum, and you want faster Internet, or you want a newer box, or you want a Spectrum Service that you don't have currently, that counts as an upgrade, and per company policy, you can be charged a truck roll fee if you upgrade.

All the big company vendors do this, some even charge a service call for troubleshooting their own equipment! (average cost $100, and that is without fixing anything!) Parts and labor $300-$500 Spectrum does not charge for any troubleshoots relating to their signals, equipment, or network. But they can charge for equipment upgrades or new services adds. Or for servicing any equipment that is not rented by you. I don't know the cost of a tech truck roll for upgrades so I don't want to give wrong information.

The point is that if you are not having any problems with your equipment, you might want to keep what you have. You never know what you are going to get in a swap or an exchange. Newer is not always necessarily better. On the other hand if you are having problems with your box or anything else, its better to have a tech come out to check your drop lines, wiring and signals. New equipment will not solve signal or line problems. But if there are no problems, you may be charged for a house call. There is no charge for taking existing equipment to a Spectrum store, provided that there are no service change adds to the account. But equipment type still varies by market.

If you are new a Spectrum store, you could go there and ask, "Do you have World Boxes? The boxes without clocks?" But if you are having Spectrum rented signal or equipment problems, a truck roll is the best choice of action.

Satch

• Terry_McCann

Satch: Thanks, good advice.

Terry

This discussion has been closed.