Didn't find what you were looking for?

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Changing DNS servers with Hitron E31N2V1 cable modem

Keith1111
Keith1111 Posts: 2 Spectator
edited September 24 in Connectivity

I have a Spectrum Hitron Modem connected to my Netgear Router & WiFi. I changed my DNS servers in the Netgear router. dnsleaktest.com shows that queries are still going to the Spectrum DNS servers, not the ones I selected.

Is the Spectrum Hitron Modem acting as a DHCP and enforcing it's own DNS servers?

Can I set the Hitron Model to bridge mode so I can control DHCP within my router?

Can I change settings in the Hitron modem? I cannot access it at 192.168.100.1?

Tagged:

Answers

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 907 Contributor

Which anonymity or privacy service is it that's leaking? Otherwise, which DNS service is the laptop itself using or set to use by default?

🔗 https://www.dnsleaktest.com/what-is-a-dns-leak.html

• Keith1111
    Keith1111 Posts: 2 Spectator

dnsleaktest shows my PC is using Spectrum DNS servers. My NetGear router is set to use OpenDNS servers. The client PC is set to get it's DNS server from DHCP. So - my assumption is that the cable modem is running a DHCP server and the effect is that the cable modem's DHCP is setting the Spectrum DNS servers.

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 907 Contributor

Test it at 🔗 https://welcome.opendns.com/ and if it fails, proceed to the test under "Why didn't it work?" and if that also fails, proceed on to 🔗 https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052884932-OpenDNS-Self-Help-Troubleshooting-Guide and gage your assumptions accordingly.

• RAIST515O
    RAIST515O Posts: 190 Contributor
    edited September 2

Yes, because WAN gets set automatically, by default the Netgear will be getting DNS options from the Spectrum modem and be forwarding queries upstream unless you overide the settings.

Additionally, don't know the details of your modem, but if it is a combo modem/router with wifi and you are using your own seperate router and it's wifi, will want to reach out to Spectrum to make sure you do not have their wifi management option set up on your account. If it is there, removing it will take a small fee off your bill and they can change the bridge mode on their router so it runs as a straight pass through modem. Otherwise, you could be in some weird double NAT scenario.

Double check the Netgear's additional WAN DNS options too. Should be settings that manage whether the router forwards queries to upstream DNS and such.

Also may want to verify your settings on the clients. Even if the arrangement upstream has changed, it may not have updated downstream clients through DHCP if the clientside lease renewal window has not come up yet. So your clients could still be rolling with Spectrum as priority.

Can do a manual release/renewal... rather than flipping through control panel windows, can do it in DOS prompt easier (ipconfig /renew or ipconfig /renew6 for v4/v6 address renewals).

Note that you can also set the DNS statically at the client level while still using DHCP for assigning IP/subnet details.

This discussion has been closed.