Didn't find what you were looking for?

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

New boost from 500 to 600MBPS :(

hurlmaggard
hurlmaggard Posts: 2 Spectator

So Spectrum upped my internet speed from 500 to 600. Wow that's great but, I never saw more than 300. Once in a great while I might have the speed test come back with ~425. So when I got the notice in email today I gave it a test. The speed test is done through my router which is connected to the cable box. I have an AC5400 TP Link router. It has a speed test built in to the settings for the router. Guess what. 6 tests were made one after the other. NONE of them resulted in more than 400. So I'm thinking maybe I should just change the service back to 300.

Comments

• Tyleen_Z
    Tyleen_Z Posts: 790 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Hello and welcome to the Spectrum Community! I do apologize for the issues you are having with the internet speeds.

Are you able to test the speeds wired to the modem directly? This would help us to rule out your router as a potential issue. The best way to test this is to connect a computer to the modem with an ethernet cord. Then reset the modem and restart the computer. Once they are back up go to to this link here and run a speed test. After you do that send us the results here and we can go from there if further help is needed.

-Tyleen

• RAIST515O
    RAIST515O Posts: 194 Contributor
    edited October 3

Have you bounced the modem yet?

They typically may need at least a reboot to get the new config file.

For extra assurance, I may reset mine to factory defaults since it is a standalone modem and I don't have to worry about any router reconfig happening.

Also may want to disable any QoS or antivirus/antimalware that may be running on the router when you test the bandwidth. Such features can get in the way of some acceleration that may be bogging the transfers down.

Most people may not notice any impact below about 350mbps... but that is about the point nat acceleration and such can start to noticeably boost performance, and running the extra inspection of packets turns some of those features off.