Didn't find what you were looking for?

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Low Speed

linda1950_715
linda1950_715 Posts: 2 Spectator
edited October 18 in Connectivity

service installed yesterday with good results, but download speeds today is capping at 33mbs.

What do we have to do to get it back up to speed?

Best Answers

• Edward_T
    Edward_T Posts: 58 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hello @linda1950_715;

Welcome to the Community Forums. I can understand the concern about the download speeds. I analyzed your modem and I am not seeing any signal issues. I also used the router's speed test function and the results were where they should be. I optimized the settings in the router. This can help if there is other WIFI devices in your area that are conflicting with the router. If you continue to see problems with the internet speeds then I would recommend we rule out the WIFI itself. Can you connect a customer with an ethernet cable to see if the speeds are better? I would also recommend that you test a WIFI device in the same room as the router.

• linda1950_715
    linda1950_715 Posts: 2 Spectator
    Answer ✓

speeds did improve when you optimized the router, but returned to slower speed again today

• Edward_T
    Edward_T Posts: 58 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hello @linda1950_715;

I checked the modem again and it is still not showing any problems. I also ran the speed test again on the router and it is what you should be getting. The issue is likely related to the wireless itself. Wireless speeds can be affected by distance and objects in the home. Can you test the internet speeds in the same room where the router is located? This will determine if the issue is related to the WIFI. Also can you tell me what activity you are doing that you are noticing the drop in speeds?

Answers

• RAIST515O
    RAIST515O Posts: 194 Contributor

How you are connected can have a profound impact... wired is usually best, followed by the higher frequency wifi options (6G/5G, then 2.4g). So ideally, you often want to use the higher bandwidth frequencies if they are stable enough, but sometimes the "smart" technology automatically latches the slower ones.

2.4g will often reach further so locks better at long distances with the same wattage level, but typically has a lower transfer rate ceilng and is more likely to run into interference from other devices (Bluetooth, cordless phones, microwaves, among other things).

For this reason, I always rename the bands so I can pick them manually from the wifi list.