Didn't find what you were looking for?

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Why do some websites load and others do not?

NetPerson
NetPerson Posts: 2 Spectator

Certain websites load and work fine on my connection, such as youtube.com and amazon.com. However, other websites, including but not limited to apple.com, facebook.com, weather.gov and weather.com, will not load and when trying to access them the connection will time out.

I am able to access the nonworking websites with a VPN, and I can use the website Down for Everyone or Just Me to verify that the sites I am trying to access are available. I am using Linux, and using the traceroute command, I can try to connect to the nonworking websites and see the point in the chain where the connection fails. For instance, one common point of failure seems to be lag-801.prr01mplsmn.netops.charter.com (96.34.3.65). Once the connection reaches that point, no further hops are made and timeout signals are returned:

~$ traceroute weather.gov
traceroute to weather.gov (23.197.192.18), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
 6  lag-100.bbr01euclwi.netops.charter.com (96.34.2.153)  17.460 ms  16.094 ms lag-101.bbr01euclwi.netops.charter.com (96.34.1.20)  16.012 ms
 7  lag-801.prr01mplsmn.netops.charter.com (96.34.3.65)  24.033 ms  24.009 ms  23.948 ms
 8  * * *
 9  * * *
10  * * *
29  * * *
30  * * *

I have contacted Spectrum support multiple times, using their phone line, chat and online resources to try to resolve the issue, but to no avail. I have a separate cable modem and router, and I have reset both many times, but the issue remains. When Spectrum sends a test signal to the cable modem, it appears to complete successfully and report no problems with the connection. On my router, I have carefully combed through the settings, reset them to default, upgraded the firmware etc. but have been unable to solve the issue.

Help in fixing this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Edward_T
    Edward_T Posts: 58 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hello @NetPerson;

Welcome to the Community Forums. I can understand the concern about most websites not working. I tested your modem and it is online with no signal problems. I do see it is an older modem that is using DOCSIS 3.0. Our network is moving to DOCSIS 3.1 and I would recommend you replace the modem with one that supports DOCSIS 3.1. You can get your own modem or you can replace your modem with one of ours. I would also recommend ruling out your router. You can connect a computer directly to the modem to see if there is a difference.

Answers

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,668 Contributor

Hello!

I would clear the cookies and cache on your devices.Temp files as well. This will log you out of sites. Than unplug your modem and router for several minutes. Reboot modem first than router. Next restart all devices. Install all OS updates.

Satch

• NetPerson
    NetPerson Posts: 2 Spectator

I connected a computer directly to the modem and was able to connect successfully to the websites that had not been working before. I then turned off the computer and unplugged the modem and router for several minutes, reconnected the cable modem and waited 2 minutes, then reconnected the router and waited 2 minutes, then powered the computer back on and tried connecting again, and the nonworking sites were back to being nonworking. It seems safe to say the issue is with my router.

If it helps, my router is an EdgeRouter X:

https://techspecs.ui.com/uisp/wired/er-x

• Edward_T
    Edward_T Posts: 58 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

It is great to hear that you were able to connect to the sites fine without the router. There is likely some setting in the router that is causing this that is not being cleared when you do a factory reset. You can reach out to the company who makes the router for suggestions on how to fix it.