Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Chromecast wont work with Askey RAC2V1A router

craigfrecraigfre Posts: 20
in Home Networking Jan 01, 2018

I upgraded to the 1Gbps service and got this router.  Ive tried all the settings in the router. AP iso off ect. The chromecast will connect and show up in the users but undectecatble on my phone. I can dectect the chromecast with my phone  if I connect  the chromecast to my linksys router that I have as an extender.  It will also work if my chromecast is connected to the Askey router and I reset the chromecast connect my phone to the linksys router. Then repower the chromecast. Detected by phone until I connect phone to the Askey router. The only info I was able to find online was in Spanish and seemed to say that these Askey routers arent compatible with chromecast. Anyone have any information?

Comments

• MsRayeMsRaye Posts: 25,606
    Jan 01, 2018

First of all, take all the wifi extenders and throw them in the trash or sell them to some other sucker...

Next, return the Askey RAC2V1A and get something by Linksys or netgear that is commercial quality and has visible external antenna's .

turn off IPv6.

Run ethernet to all smart tv's 

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭✭
    Jan 01, 2018

For the initial Spectrum rollout of Gigabit internet service, Spectrum is only connecting their free combination gateway (modem+router).  The information that forum contributors have been hearing (since we're volunteers, not Spectrum employees) is that there is currently no option for customers to purchase their own equipment used on a Gigabit service connection.  If you insist on using the Askey router you will be pretty much on your own for support.   We think that position may evolve in the future, after Spectrum builds some field experience with Gigabit on coax.

• craigfrecraigfre Posts: 20
    Jan 01, 2018

The Askey router is the one provided.  Spectrum Tech support says it's the Chromecast.  Google says its the router. 

Jan 02, 2018

What modem did they give you?

Jan 02, 2018

Technicolor TC4400

Jan 02, 2018

Do you have a different router to try? It doesn't need to do the gig speed

Jan 02, 2018

Yes.  I have a linksys router connected. That's what i have the chrome cast connected to now and it works that way.  For some reason if both are connected to the spectrum router they can't communicate with each other.  Any combination works as long as my phone and chromecast arent connected to the spectrum router. Phone on linksys, chromecast on spectrum works. Phone on spectrum, chromecast on linksys works. Once my phone and chromecast are on the spectrum router chromecast is no longer discovered by google home or cast apps. 

Jan 02, 2018

lol...   you probably have  both routers set to NAT and  set for the same gateway addys...

One needs to be in bridged mode or just don't use it period. I'd put the askey back in it's box....

or set them up like this: first is 192.168.0.x   and the second is 192.168.2.x that can be problematic if some devices are on the first one and trying to talk to the second ones devices...

Jan 04, 2018

Nope...the second router is bridged. The askey is the TWC provided router. No issues till I got the new router. The problem isnt that the devices on seperate routers cant talk to each other. The issue is that my phone and my chromecast connected to the provided Askey router cant talk to each other when both are connected to the provided askey router. If they are connected to seperate routers they can talk just fine.

Jan 04, 2018

encryption type wrong?

No ones got any detailed screen shots of the askey to look for an option that might be set wrong.

Or a firmware issue.

Why don't you just use your router since it works?

• SmincSminc Posts: 7
    Jan 19, 2018

Hi I am also having this same problem as well as other people on Reddit experiencing the same thing like here: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/comments/7ov0dp/cant_connect_chromecast_on_spectrum_gigabit/

I have an extended network as well but I connected my Chromecasts solely to the Askey. I am using a Chromecast Ultra which is detected and a regular Chromecast which is not detected. Google says the problem is in the router.

I have set AP Isolation off and ensured uPnP is on. I believe this is an issue with the router since my own Netgear routers when used do not have this issue, but can not handle the throughput otherwise I would use them.

Jan 20, 2018

@Sminc   So to recap what you've said earlier, the modem feeds the Askey router's WAN port.  The Chromecast and Chromecast Ultra plug into LAN ports 1 and 2 , the Netgear into LAN port #3 and your laptop into LAN port #4 of the Askey router. 

Can you please interrogate the Chromecast and Chromecast Ultra devices and both the Askey and Netgear routers and then post the IP addresses assigned to each (4 total)?  That should give us the key data we need to resolve this puzzle.

Last, is there any chance you would consider replacing your existing "too slow" Netgear router with a faster model that DOES work with both tiers of Chromecast?

Jan 20, 2018

I found with an extended network if your chromecast is connected to the spectrum router you can connect your phone to the other router reboot your chromecast  and it will work until your phone connects to the spectrum router. That was too much of a hassle for me but I get about 100mb through the extended network so I havent really had any issues with casting.  So I connect my chromecast through the extended network and it works good enough. I never had a problem till I got the new router

Jan 20, 2018

I have mine going through and extender so not sure it will help. Chromecast is wireless

Askey 192.168.1.1

Extender 192.168.1.200

Chromecast 192.168.1.249

When everything was connected to the askey router I could see in the client list everything connected. The phone and chromecast cant communicate when both are connected to the askey router. Any combination of them connected between the askey and extended router works as long as my phone and chromecast arent connected to the askey router at the same time.

Jan 20, 2018

Recommendation was already made to first get rid of the network extender.   It will always cut your speed by at least 50% and creates other network addressing issues which you are struggling with right now.

Jan 20, 2018

Go into the askey and TURN OFF "AP ISOLATION"

That isolates devices on the wireless access point.

Next issue may be if one is running IPv6 and the other IPv4....

Turn off IPv6

last issue is the 2nd router... It must be in AP or bridged mode Sticking it in NAT routing mode will mess you up especially if it's also on 192.168.1.1  You can put it on 192.168.2.1 with NAT, lol

but forget sharing between the 2 subnets easily

• SmincSminc Posts: 7
    Jan 20, 2018

@karlbeckman

I have the TC-4400 Modem wired to the RAC2V1K with both Chromecast and Chromecast Ultra connected wirelesssly to the RAC2V1K on the 2.4ghz spectrum, with no range extenders. I switched back to my old router, the Netgear R7000, and it has no issues with the Chromecasts. The issue seems to be rampant with other Askey router models according to Spanish online forums.

Jan 20, 2018

Thank you detective. Thats not the problem. Thats the solution. The chromecast and phone wont communicate when connected to the provided router. 100mbps isnt the problem. Thats the only way I can get my chromecast to work with the provided router. Im not having network addressing issues. Everything works regardless of the router they are connected to. The only issue im having is when the chromecast and phone are connected to the provided askey router. Even with no extender the phone and chromecast wont communicate

Jan 20, 2018

@MsRaye

AP iso off. ipv6 off. Bridged with static ip. 192.168.1.200. Every other device is detected by every device except the chromecast

Jan 20, 2018

@Sminc

Same here any combo but phone and chromecast connected to askey will work. So if you have and old crappy router like me. Bridge it and you can connect your chromecast to the askey and your phone to the old router. You just have to restart the chromecast with your phone connected to extender. When both your phone and chromecast are on the askey it wont work.

The chromecast only gets told what to stream, Everything after that is through the chromecast connection. If the chromcast is connected through the askey it will get the bandwidth though that.

Jan 21, 2018

Try this... Set the NAT router for a  dhcp start of 192.168.1.100 and lets say 50 IP's...

Set the chromecast on a static IP of 192.168.1.99 and the extender on a static IP of 192.168.1.98

Shoving statics into  the DHCP range is a mistake and causes unreliable operation.

Also set the DHCP leases both wired and wireless for a day not an hour

Is your phone Apple and are you sure it's wifi is locked to IPv4 only?

• dobri002dobri002 Posts: 1
    Jan 24, 2018

I'm also experiencing this issue.

Upgraded to Spectrum's 1gig service a few weeks ago and have had NOTHING but problems.

I was coming from the 300mbps plan. Once they came and "upgraded" me and gave me the Technicolor Modem and Askey Router, my speeds fluctuated from 15mbps to 200mbps. More often the slower side of things. Not only were my speeds slow, but my connection went in and out all day every day. They had 4+ techs come out to "Check the lines". I'm just barely getting a stable connection and speed.

On top of that, my Chromecast does not work with this router, nor can my TV connect to my router. I had to go buy an ethernet cable just to get my TV hooked up.

AP Isolation is OFF

UPnP is ON

I've tried countless things to fix it. Nothing works. I had absolutely 0 issues before. Plus, there's even more people having the exact same issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/comments/7ov0dp/cant_connect_chromecast_on_spectrum_gigabit/

This is completely on Spectrum and this Askey router garbage. I stream everything so this has pretty much made attempting to watch Hulu or Netflix or anything a complete nightmare. A user in the thread above says everything works perfectly fine if he DOESN'T use the Askey router spectrum gave him and uses his own router instead.

Spectrum's living in another world if they think they're going to charge me $125/month for internet, then charge me $200 for "installation", and then require me to buy a $100-$200 router on my own to replace their garbage that doesn't work?

Jan 25, 2018

@dobri002

That was the only solution I was able to come up with. Fortunately for me I had an old wireless n router and the cable connection is behind the tv. So I just briged the old router and hid it behind the tv and no issues since. If the chormecast is the only thing you need it for you can get away with using a bare minimum wireless n or ac router.  Depending how far away it is from your connection. I get about 100Mbps though my old router which is plenty for streaming to one device. As for the speed is that on wireless or wired? I get about 300 on 5g. 90 on 2g. Wired anywhere from 800 to I think the highest Ive seen is 1100+ but that was on new years eve.

Jan 25, 2018

post your signal level pages, lets make sure that's stable first

Jan 26, 2018

Has anyone checked whether the Chromecast Ultra requires a wider bandwidth channel on 2.4 GHz?  Some newer routers allow 80 MHz ultra-wide, other models will only do 20 [normal] and 40 [wide].  Running in 80 [ultra-wide] mode creates interference with the next two 2.4 GHz channels up and down.  The original Chromecast stick MIGHT not even be compatible with 2.4 ultra-wide at all, just like older smartphones.  That's one big reason we tell folks who will listen that they should ALWAYS set up their high speed streaming devices only on 5 GHz.

Jan 27, 2018

@karlbeckman

Ive changed  every setting in the router I could. No luck. Its not that its not connecting to the network. Even shows connected on tv.  Its that the phone and chromecast cant communicate. 2Ghz 5Ghz no difference. If the phone and chromecast are connected to the askey router it doesnt work. Every other combo of connections where they are on seperate routers. No problems. Im thinking it has to be router related since I had no issues until I got this router and if the phone and chromecast are connected to different routers it works.

Feb 02, 2018

Sounds like it is time to get back to the basics, in this case IP addresses. 

The first thing to remember is that for two devices to talk to each other, they MUST be on the same subnet.

What are the IP addresses of the two routers? 

Which one is set in bridging mode?

Which one is doing the NAT and DHCP? 

What is the starting DHCP address?  How many devices/IP addresses enabled?

What is the IP address of the smartphone?  The Chromecast box?  And the TV set?

All of these devices should be using static addresses on 5 GHz.

This discussion has been closed.