Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

I should be able to run the Spectrum TV streaming app on a Roku in NYC and log in with my Tampa...

jdezegojdezego Posts: 5
edited August 27 in Spectrum TV App 2018 Archive Feb 23, 2018

I have Spectrum (Brighthouse) cable tv and internet service in Tampa, FL.

I have Spectrum (Time Warner) internet service in NYC.

 

I should be able to run the Spectrum TV streaming app on a Roku in NYC and log in with my Tampa credentials. Why? Because Spectrum is now ONE COMPANY regardless of where I live. But this doesn't work. Instead, when I launch the app in NYC it doesn't even ask me to log in. It sees my NYC IP address, sees that I don't have tv service in NYC, and it goes directly to a screen that tries to sell me the streaming package for $21.99 per month.... EVEN THOUGH I PAY FOR SPECTRUM TV SERVICE IN TAMPA.

 

 

 

Comments

  • reds91185reds91185 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭✭
    Feb 23, 2018

    You are attempting to get television service in a location that you do not a have television subscription. All services are tied to the service address on the account. 

  • BozBoz Posts: 369
    Feb 23, 2018

    @reds91185 wrote:

    You are attempting to get television service in a location that you do not a have television subscription. All services are tied to the service address on the account. 


    But with the advertised "TV Anywhere", the Spectrum TV App or spectrumtv.com is supposed to allow viewing over any internet connection of at least some of the subscribed channels, which in this case should be from the poster's FL subscribed TV service, right?

     

    See: https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/faqs/faqs-tv/tveverywhere/how-do-i-use-tv-everywhere.html

  • reds91185reds91185 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭✭
    Feb 23, 2018

    "TV Anywhere" is very misleading. It's not like other providers that truly allow the full lineup to be viewed no matter where you are. The full lineup is only available on the customer's home network of the service address that actually has the tv subscription (and also has Spectrum internet). That location is the service address in Florida. Outside of that home network, a very limited selection of channels should be available (maybe C-Span, among a few others). 

     

    While in NYC you can use your Spectrum log in credentials for many individual network apps. 

  • jdezegojdezego Posts: 5
    Feb 23, 2018

    None of this matters. After the merger Spectrum is Spectrum, end of story. I should have ONE account instead of 2. The app should know that I HAVE tv service as part of my Spectrum account,.

     

  • jdezegojdezego Posts: 5
    Feb 23, 2018

    ps... While on my NYC Spectrum internet service I *CAN* login to the app on my laptop or phone and watch 100% of my Tampa channels.

     

  • reds91185reds91185 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭✭
    Feb 23, 2018

    If you have two houses and have water, electric, gas, phone to one would you expect the other house to also be connected without it's own service? 

     

    It's all based on service address. 

  • jdezegojdezego Posts: 5
    Feb 23, 2018

    @reds91185 wrote:

    If you have two houses and have water, electric, gas, phone to one would you expect the other house to also be connected without it's own service? 

     

    It's all based on service address. 


    If it was 1985 that might be a good analogy. Those are physical things. I am of course talking about a service that is deleivered over the internet. Do you have Netflix? Notice how you can log in from different addresses? Same concept. And yes, this is how other providers do it. So I guess we can "expect the other house to also be connected without it's own service? "

  • reds91185reds91185 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭✭
    Feb 23, 2018

    All I'm saying is this is the way Spectrum has chosen to implement it, not what I would like to see. It's a business decision, not a technical question.  At some point Spectrum (and all the other cable companies that do the same) will be forced to rethink things because the younger generation coming up do not know tethers and won't accept them. Netflix and all the other OTT services will force their hand and truly allow "TV Anywhere."

     

    By the way, do you use a VPN while in NYC to your network in Tampa?

  • jdezegojdezego Posts: 5
    Feb 23, 2018

    @reds91185 wrote:

     

    By the way, do you use a VPN while in NYC to your network in Tampa?


    No. Although in attempt to make this work I connected my Roku to a VZW hotspot. When I do that the Spectrum app asks me to log in but then says "please connect to the Spectrum network t use this app." Which is also ridiculous because I'm supposed to be able to log in from "anywhere" and at least get limited channels according to the website. They're hanging on for dear life trying everything they can to milk every dime from us for as long as they can.

     

    Right now I'm on my laptop, NYC Spectrum wifi, logged in using my Tampa credentials, and casting to my TV. I hope it bothers someone that I can work around.

     

  • dstoffadstoffa Posts: 994 ✭✭✭✭
    Feb 23, 2018

    @jdezego wrote:

    I have Spectrum (Brighthouse) cable tv and internet service in Tampa, FL.

    I have Spectrum (Time Warner) internet service in NYC.

     

    I should be able to run the Spectrum TV streaming app on a Roku in NYC and log in with my Tampa credentials. Why? Because Spectrum is now ONE COMPANY regardless of where I live. But this doesn't work. Instead, when I launch the app in NYC it doesn't even ask me to log in. It sees my NYC IP address, sees that I don't have tv service in NYC, and it goes directly to a screen that tries to sell me the streaming package for $21.99 per month.... EVEN THOUGH I PAY FOR SPECTRUM TV SERVICE IN TAMPA.

     

    This is a scummy attempt at robbing customers. Everyone needs to report this to the Attorny General's office using this simple form:

     

    http://myfloridalegal.com/contact.nsf/contact?Open&Section=Citizen_Services

     


    This is not an attempt at robbing customers.  It's all about legal obligations.  Read the fine print in your service agreement on what you are really obligated to receive, not what television ads lead you to believe you receive.

     

    Spectrum has agreements with content owners as to how their programming can be delivered to customers.  The linear video feed has restrictions which differ from the streaming feed restrictions.  Spectrum doesn't have clearance to allow a full lineup of video programming outside the residence via their streaming apps.

     

    I have Spectrum in New York.  I was sent to Wisconsin for work, where the home I rented also had Spectrum.  I brought my Roku with me, and when I tried to access the Spectrum Streaming channel, I was advised once I logged in with my credentials that I needed to be attached to the modem which was tied to my video account.  So I couldn't watch NY TV in Wisconsin.... as it should be.  I could use individual network apps to watch programming on the Roku, and I did get SOME more channels via PC, but never the full lineup.

     

    The linear video cable TV subscription model is based on "per household" .  The content owner collects a fixed amount from the cable company "per household", and if you could effectively watch at home and have others watch elsewhere by simply sharing a username and password, everyone would pair or triple up to game the system.

     

    If you really want to place-shift your Flordia TV so you can watch it in New York, then invest in a SlingBox.

     

    If you want to truly watch TV anywhere, cancel your Spectrum video service, keep the internet, and subscribe to an "Over-the-top" video streaming service, (SlingTV, YouTubeTV, PSVuw, DirecTV Now) which has the legal agreements in place to allow what you are seeking.

  • dstoffadstoffa Posts: 994 ✭✭✭✭
    Feb 23, 2018

    @jdezego wrote:

    @reds91185 wrote:

    If you have two houses and have water, electric, gas, phone to one would you expect the other house to also be connected without it's own service? 

     

    It's all based on service address. 


    If it was 1985 that might be a good analogy. Those are physical things. I am of course talking about a service that is deleivered over the internet. Do you have Netflix? Notice how you can log in from different addresses? Same concept. And yes, this is how other providers do it. So I guess we can "expect the other house to also be connected without it's own service? "


    It's a consequence of the linear PayTV business model.  The linear business is a physical thing, based on a cable and a house.  As posted elsewhere in this thread, I expect things to change in the next decade, because "cord-cutters" and "cord-nevers" will eventually hurt the bottom line of the content owners (Disney is taking a beating with lost ESPN subs), and they'll need to figure out a new way to get younger people to pay for their products...  This is why Sling, PSVue, YouTubeTV, and the rest have emerged...  to cater to the young desireable customers.

  • BozBoz Posts: 369
    Feb 23, 2018

    @jdezego wrote:

    ps... While on my NYC Spectrum internet service I *CAN* login to the app on my laptop or phone and watch 100% of my Tampa channels.

     


    In that case, the issue is with your Roku and/or the Spectrum TV app on your Roku.

     

    It is also new information that you did NOT include in your original post.

     

    What happens when you uninstall the Spectrum TV app on your Roku, restart your Roku, and re-install the Spectrum TV app on your Roku?

  • dstoffadstoffa Posts: 994 ✭✭✭✭
    Feb 23, 2018

    @Boz wrote:

    @jdezego wrote:

    ps... While on my NYC Spectrum internet service I *CAN* login to the app on my laptop or phone and watch 100% of my Tampa channels.

     


    In that case, the issue is with your Roku and/or the Spectrum TV app on your Roku.

     

    It is also new information that you did NOT include in your original post.

     

    What happens when you uninstall the Spectrum TV app on your Roku, restart your Roku, and re-install the Spectrum TV app on your Roku?


    I am convinced that the app on the Roku and/or SmartTV goes through different steps for authentication / validation than the PC / Browser / Smart Phone versions....

     

    A person is more likely considred on-the-go if they are watching on their phone / laptop while outside the home than if they are watching on a Roku / SmartTV while away from the home service address.   A Roku is more of a permanent setup than a smartphone, iPad, or laptop...

  • jmliiijmliii Posts: 1
    Apr 01, 2018

    I certainly do not see why the Roku channel is restricted to in home use.  I have the android app on my phone and it works everywhere with a lot of available channels.  Seems like the Roku channel should have the same capability.  Place shifting is coming fast.  Legacy cable better wake up and get on board or they may be the next Toys R Us or Sears.

This discussion has been closed.