Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

WIFY channel contention with a powerful neighbor and cannot change my wireless router's channel.

rwilcherrwilcher Posts: 8
in Home Networking Apr 30, 2018

I have a Sagecom wireless router. Evidently it's channel is fixed at 6. As is my aforementioned neighbors evidently.  There seems to be no way to change this on my end. Normally I would move to another channel.  The Sagecom has no such option.  The only option I have now is to move within nosebleed range of my sagecom unit or use another wireless router. Where I came from they called them access points. As you guys master the wireless IP universe, I expect you will see more of this type of thing. Is there no way to change the 

Sagemcom [email protected] 5260 RF channel? I have several wireless access points and all allow this.

As this unit appears to be fixed on channel 6, Can be most annoying. Units in range of each other don't work well on overlaying channels ,least this one doesn't Ideas? Smiley Sad

Comments

• dstoffadstoffa Posts: 988
    Apr 30, 2018

My parents have one of those (from Altice Optimum), and the channel can be changed.   Since every Tom, **bleep**, and Harry in their neighborhood has wireless, I had to put their router on Channel 3.   It can be done.

Are you using an all-in-one from Spectrum and paying the WiFi fee?

Their user's manual specifies that the channel can be changed:

https://www.timewarnercable.com/content/dam/residential/pdfs/support/internet/ModemUserGuides/SagemcomF5260UserGuide.pdf

Although I can see if you are using their device for Wifi, they may "manage" the router for you, and thus prevent you from changing some settings.

If you cannot change the channel, and you need to in order to get more reliable service, I recommend you forgo their all-in-one, and use your own router.  Have then disable the Wifi on the all-in-one and have it put in bridged mode.  This not only allows YOU to control your home network, but also removes the $5 per month "Wifi Fee" from your bill.

• reds91185reds91185 Posts: 2,452
    Apr 30, 2018

According to Spectrum's online manual for this router (it's not an all-in-one modem/router combo) you should be able to adjust the channels. Are you saying the user interface is locked out at 192.168.1.1?

https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/configuring-wireless-security/

• rwilcherrwilcher Posts: 8
    Apr 30, 2018

No there is no option to change the WIFI  operational RF channel.

Which is inconflict with my people next door.

Apr 30, 2018

Looking up and reading,  the sagecom manual. There does not appear to a setting for this.

Got the manual from www.sagemcom.com for the Sagemcom [email protected] 5260.  I can login to it

but no setting I can find for changeing wireless channels. I have several and all can do this.

Apr 30, 2018

Looks like it. Theres no setting for that like on other access points like on Cisco,Dlink etc.

No such knob visable Smiley Sad

Apr 30, 2018

Just for clarity sake...

You can log in to the router at 192.168.1.1 but there is no button that is labeled "WiFi 2.4GHz" or it's there but it's grayed out so you have no access to it?

Apr 30, 2018

Upon checking what I have, there is no basic menu or option for channel change. 

Apr 30, 2018

Looks like I have no choice in the matter. 

Apr 30, 2018

@rwilcherwrote:

Upon checking what I have, there is no basic menu or option for channel change. 

In that case, it sounds like you will have to call in to have Spectrum adjust the settings over the phone, or possibly over chat.

Or better yet, return the Sagemcom router, ditch the $5 wifi fee (if applicable), and use your own router that you would have full access to.

• superdavesuperdave Posts: 9
    Apr 30, 2018

page 23 of the pdf manual has the instructions to change channel

Apr 30, 2018

I will certainly consider that. I have enough stuff I have collected over the years to try . The current situation is intollerable , Can't even install a wireless printer due to the interference.

Can actually see it with a wifi monitor program like  Netspot or  inSSider4. I may be a bit crazy 

but that is a different issue altogether. I have the pdf from sagemcom but see nothing like that. I have Wireless Router User Manual [email protected] 5260 V3.0 (April 2017) 253594684.  That portion seems  to have been redacted. Lucky me. Page 23 in the manual I have talks about

Setting up Parental Controls.  In the docs I have Change the Wi-Fi Channel is only mentioned on page 19. Where did you get the one you have ?.  Anyhow looks like have to call tech support on this  one.  the one I have says.

Changing your Local Access Password
    Your local access username and password provide access to your web GUI account. Do not share this information as it allows users to change your router settings or disable your Internet connection.
    1. Log in to the web GUI.
    2. Click on Access Control.
    3. Select the User tab.
    4. Ensure admin is entered for the Username.
    5. If you want your password to display, select the Show Password box.
    6. Enter the old password.
    7. Enter the new password in the Password field.
    8. Confirm the new password in the Confirm Password field.
    9. Click Apply.
    Configuring your Wi-Fi Networ

Configuring your Wi-Fi Network
    This section describes how to:
    • Turn your Wi-Fi on and off
    • Change your wireless network name (SSID), and broadcast your SSID
    • Change your Wi-Fi channel
    • Change network encryption and your network password

Is yours the same ? Guess I will have to try end see.

Apr 30, 2018

It's the same page...Page 19 of the actual document is on page 23 of the PDF.

Apr 30, 2018
    Man I may need to rename this thread adventures of a Linux bigot.
  • karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭✭
    May 12, 2018

The SagemCom unit does include dual-band WiFi radios.  If you cannot change the channel as many have suggested, you might also consider using the 5 GHz band instead of 2.4 GHz. 

This discussion has been closed.