Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Re: Spectrum infrastructure often has high latency

fbicyberwarfarefbicyberwarfare Posts: 5
in Connectivity Jun 18, 2018

I had a tech come out because my Hardline connection is perfect, but their combo modem and the separate AC1300 router they replaced it with is having pings of 110ms - 21,000ms on the 2.4&5ghz bands. Tried multiple devices with their routers and the results are the same. I hook up and connect to my n150 router and have ZERO latency issues. The tech tells me that he connects his phone to my wifi(without my password, SMH) and it acts just fine. So he tells me that the problem is because my phone is prepaid instead if plan. "Inferior hardwire"

I have used this phone on Comcast and various wifis around the city, as well as my own router, and it pings at less than 45ms consistently! Pages loaded on Comcast instantly but the same phone on THEIR routers, two different models, produce identical problems.

Then he brings in his personal laptop, connects to it without my password (says he doesn't need it) and speedtests flawlessly.

My web apps time out, speedtests takes up to 45 seconds to start and then tests at full speed of my tier, and Google.com takes up to 40 seconds to load.

I have a tech visit scheduled for 8am so I changed my password from the defaults to my own password. If they tell me that they connect to MY wifi without my OWN unique password and try to tell me there is no problem, I'm filing a complaint. Two different models of their routers produce the same problems, my own(rather inferior) router performs better, but Ethernet performs FLAWLESSLY! FLAWLESSLY EVEN DURING PEAK.

So far I've been on the phone with them 18 times and they'll be here the 3rd time later today. I'm thinking the only real solution here is to buy my own router and have them shove theirs where all their talking comes from!

Comments

• fbicyberwarfarefbicyberwarfare Posts: 5
    Jun 18, 2018
    I would also like to point out that I used a DNS benchmark program through Ethernet on my PC and the DNS reliability for both of their DNS servers average of 20% of requests failed. So I changed the DNS addresses in thier routers to DNS servers that are constantly 100% reliability and NONE of these problems are any different at all!
  • karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭✭
    Jun 18, 2018

If your equipment performs "FLAWLESSLY!! FLAWLESSLY EVEN DURING PEAK" when on ethernet, but not when you try to use WiFi, either the router has an internal WiFi problem, you have two active routers and are "double-NAT-ing" the IP addresses, or you have local RF interference, possibly from having two WiFi sources with both active. 

Spectrum should have already switched their combo unit into bridged mode and turned off NAT, WiFi, and DHCP.  They will also replace their AC1300 rental router with another unit if you can show that yours really is defective.  But they only deliver internet information to the wired ethernet port(s) on their router; they are not responsible for conquering the WiFi coverage environment to personal equipment operating on WiFi channels in and around your home.  

Also, during your ping testing exercises you tried using different DNS servers located outside the Spectrum transport network and noticed zero improvement.  That result would pretty much convince me that the problem isn't with Spectrum's DNS equipment, more likely something is being bottlenecked at the IXP data handoff location.  

You say that your network devices don't suffer from the latency problem with your old N150 router running over WiFi.  Have you considered simply installing your N150 router and using it?  That sounds like a simple fix to me, no need to buy a new router unit.  Give us a list of your equipment (including the Spectrum modem and router) and see what the Spectrum--LTWC forum contributors can dream up.

Jun 18, 2018
    1: I only had one router hooked up at a time. That's a rookie mistake.
    2: my n150 isn't capable of supporting a constant 100Mbps that I'm paying for.
    3: their ac1300 router will copy files from PC to phone in full glory.
    4: if it was rf interferences, my router wouldn't perform better than a brand new, out of box beast.
    5: I use wifi analyzer to avoid cross-chatter with neighboring devices and set my channels accordingly.
    6: when the tech was here today, he mentioned that they receive constant complaints about the previous tech going to great lengths to find a scapegoat instead of repairing anything.
    7: as far as DNS servers go, I acknowledge that my test discovered they weren't the problem, it was just worth noting that the reliability rate of their DNS averages 80%. There is trouble down the line somewhere. That means that ~20% of ALL actions on the web must be attempted multiple times by the hardware before a response is received. Maybe, although unrelated in my problem, that's why the lowest ping spectrum gets network-wide is ~41ms(spectrum says this is great) and Comcast's average ping in my state is ~15ms.

I'm not saying they are doing anything wrong as far as the DNS and ping problems. That's due to TWC NEGLECTING upgrades and repairs before Charter Communications bought them. They have made great strides in improvements since then. I'm mentioning it here so it can be added to the list of problems to fix.

Spectrum employees seem to be notorious for dismissing these issues as anybody's fault but theirs instead of admitting that it's a work in progress.
    Jun 18, 2018
    They said they are going to replace my coax lines to rid the residence of line noise. That's their current step/theory. If the line is the wifi's problem, I would expect worse performance from the LAN as well. If the new lines don't fix the problems, i'm sending this router back to them and buying one. I need a better one anyway. Walmart has a AC1200 for $35. A small price to pay..
    Per your request, the model numbers:
    Their modem: Arris TM1602
    Their router: Sagemcom Fast 5260
    My router(don't laugh, it's old): Belkin F6D4230-4 V3
  • debgramdebgram Posts: 20
    Jun 18, 2018
    I believe the latency has to do with the dns server on Spectrum's end. I was getting high latency playing games and used googles dns server and it went down
  • RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    Jun 19, 2018
    Just a word of caution... you may want to do a little research on the router specs/reviews before you buy it. Some of those less expensive ones are marked down for a reason. A lot of the time it is the CPU and/or chipset that makes them unfavorable. If it is only going to be a couple devices streaming they may hold up well, but if you start mixing 5g and 2.4g wifi devices with wired connections, running multiple streams, possibly even QoS thrown in the mix... you will want the stronger models. Even my Asus AC66 can start to feel the heat if two tv's are streaming live HD over the wifi and playing a network demanding game, like an FPS. Running QoS to prioritize the gaming traffic disables CTF (a sort of hardware speed tweak) placing conisderable more load on the CPU. It was no slouch in it's day either... one of the early high end AC routers (1750, dual band, quad stream, 3 high gain antennas...but only has a single core 600mhz CPU).

You mentioned Walmart... was in one of our locals just the other day, and noticed some of their mid range dual-core and entry level Tri-Band models got price drops. Sure, still pushing the 130-150 mark for some of them.... but if you are going to be stressing it with multiple streaming devices and online gaming and such, might be worth spending the extra for a more robust unit.
    Jun 20, 2018
    Thanks for the tip
  • karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭✭
    Jun 20, 2018

Here's another network tip:  If you are going to allow your router to prioritze gaming, then expect video streaming to fall apart, or vice versa.  The  same goes for large file transfers and database or computer desktop syncs.   Ethernet data flow through your home connection can only be optimized for one type of network traffic at a time.   If you start to see long ping times or lost data packets when gaming, your home office VPN drops out, or you see stuttering video streams, the first thing to try is turning off those QoS and CTF tools in the router.

This discussion has been closed.