Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Modem help

TechnPandaTechnPanda Posts: 2
in Connectivity Jun 19, 2018

I need to buy a new modem, i want one that will be compatible with 940 MB internet incase I do upgrade and the site sucks as far as telling any good info. so, is there a modem that spectrum will take that is compatible with their 940 MB package if I do decide to upgrade in the future?

Accepted Answers

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭✭
    Jun 19, 2018 Accepted Answer

There's a good reason you can't find any information yet: There are NO modems that Spectrum has tested at 1 gigabit and approved for customer purchase and install.  Modem rental is part of the monthly internet service charge from Spectrum, so there is no financial incentive for you to buy your own modem unit.  You CAN ask them to put their gigabit modem into bridging mode.  Then go buy your own gigabit router+WiFi gateway which you will control and manage. 

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,081 ADMIN
    Jun 20, 2018 Accepted Answer

@TechnPanda

The information provided by @karlbeckman is correct, there are currently no modems you can purchase that are approved for Gig speeds.  In areas with gig speeds available, we provide the modem in bridge mode and a router.  As far as switching to a Spectrum package, it sounds like you may have been provided inaccurate information.  We encourage you to visit a local store for pricing information or even explore the options available through Business Class service.  

Replies

• TechnPandaTechnPanda Posts: 2
    Jun 19, 2018

wish it was that easy...im in an area that was TWC and now is spectrum and they wont let me switch off the TWC status. They wont let me have rent a router until they are completed with the move from TWC to spectrum. I just got my upgrade from 60 MB/s to 100 MB/s and get the whole story of how i cant get 400 or 940 MB plan unless I have TV service until the switch is complete. It sucks that everyone in this area has to go through this but there best solution is to close my account and reopen it with them to force the change but that would put me out of internet for up to a week and i work from home. that is why there is a little attitude there.

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭✭
    Jun 20, 2018

You can probably still get 300 Mbps service from TWC, nothing faster though.  But try to make do with TWC at 100 until after the changeover.  The 300, 400, and Gig service is way more than most gaming or streaming server sites can handle anyhow. 

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    Jun 20, 2018
    During our transition, my promotional discount with TWC expired. I went into the local office and they flipped me over to the Spectrum 60mbps tier with Spectrum Stream. Got home and just rebooted the modem (using my own modem, netgear cm500), setup my user/pass in the Spectrum TV app on our Rokus, and we were up and running. Quite literally, it was just minutes of downtime and not a week.

IDK why you were left with that impression about a week of downtime... unless there is an issue with your tap the needs to be addressed for the speed tier you want?

If you are a current customer, it should be pretty much just a coding change of sorts if you have compliant hardware. If it is registered properly, it downloads the proper config on reboot. Worst case, you would take home one of their modems after settling things at the local office and swap the cabling. If it doesn't "plug and play" immediately, might have to contact them to refresh the registration and reboot.

The process has been dramatically streamlined now. Been at it for over 20 years now... was in our beta group in the 90's. Back then a contractor HAD to come on site to set you up... at a $99 price tag. There was NO self-install option for the longest time. Now you can just pick the hardware up at a local office (or get it shipped to you) and plug it up yourself.
This discussion has been closed.