Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Can't change WIFI Passoword, why do they make it so difficult?

fischtankfischtank Posts: 1
in Connectivity Jun 18, 2018

I used to be able to change my password through the app, but now the app is basically useless. I was told to enter my IP address into the browser, and then enter my information. But it tells me that my information is incorrect.

I even tried the default settings to no avail. Why can't I just use the app?!

Comments

• dstoffadstoffa Posts: 988
    Jun 19, 2018

Actually wireless administration of your home's router is not advisable.   Remote administration is even less advisable.  You need to make sure your connections are secure.  And if you are changing your WiFi password to keep it secure, the new password isn't secure becuase it is being sent over the wireless connection that you are trying to secure....

I would always make router changes with a web browser attached to the router via ethernet. 

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭✭
    Jun 19, 2018

STRONGLY AGREE!  Most router manufacturers have downloadable router management apps that will run over a WIRED ethernet connection directly into the router.  They don't use WiFi and therefore are highly secure.  I use Netgear's Genie as my Netgear router management application; there are several others for different brands of routers.  

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    Jun 20, 2018
    Just a thought... make sure the router isn't restricted to a particular IP address for management. It may be nested in an Administration/System path where you would be working with the passwords, like in this Asus router demo (radio buttons at bottom of Miscellaneous section):

https://event.asus.com/2012/nw/dummy_ui/en/Advanced_System_Content.html

I've had to use this feature when I was on the road a lot... but unless you are needing to access this from the outside, it shouldn't be needed. One could lock themselves out if not careful, requiring a hardware reset to defaults to reclaim control again.
This discussion has been closed.