Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

What is included with a Home Networking tech visit?

MoarMbpsMoarMbps Posts: 2
in Connectivity Jun 27, 2018
My rec room is in the basement but my modem is on the first floor. The modem HAS TO remain in the office as a work from home requirement. The WiFi signal in my basement is abysmal, which makes gaming and streaming a complete nightmare. I really want my consoles to have a direct, physical connection to my modem. If I pay for a Home Networking visit, will the tech run some Ethernet cables to the basement or are those visits just for WiFi issues?

Comments

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    Jun 27, 2018
    Might run some coax depending on the situation, but not Ethernet as part of a service call for Spectrum's cable services.

Building/expanding a private wired network on the other side of their equipment would fall to the owner to address.

You could look into power line adaptors as an option. Note that you will want to plug them directly into the wall sockets, and avoid sharing a wall socket with something like a fridge or microwave to avoid some potential interference issues.
  • MoarMbpsMoarMbps Posts: 2
    Jun 27, 2018
    Do they have surge protection?
  • reds91185reds91185 Posts: 2,452
    Jun 27, 2018

Agree that power line adapters might be a good solution for you.  If you want to hire someone to do the wiring you can search for computer technicians/electricians/phone installers that can come do the work for you.

This discussion has been closed.