Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

RT Television is gone???

WeegiebWeegieb Posts: 2

I want to complain that RT Television has been removed from the channel line up. 

Frankly it is sad that i have to look to RT to get actual news converage of world events, but it is the only channel aside from Free Speech TV that provides honest coverage and not cat and puppy videos. 

"merican corporate media is propaganda for low information voters.  RT tells it like it is.

I want my RT Tv back!!

Lou B.

From NYC

Comments

• reds91185reds91185 Posts: 2,452
    Sep 05, 2018

I bet the local station that carried RT in your area decided not to continue broadcasting the network.

• dstoffadstoffa Posts: 988 ✭✭✭✭
    Sep 05, 2018

RT is/was also known to PAY for carriage on cable systems.  It's possible that RT decided it no longer wanted to pay, and since Spectrum had no obligation to carry it, it was dropped.

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    Sep 05, 2018
    Not sure I would go so far as to say it is "honest" or even free of any propoganda machine... bulk of it's funding since inception has been the Russian government after all. As such, they are required to register with the DoJ as a foreign agent...

Anyhoo... It can be found for free by various means. Check your chosen platform's app store, or you can use a service like Pluto and such to get to their stream.
  • reds91185reds91185 Posts: 2,452
    Sep 05, 2018

I think their Youtube stream is still active as of now.

• calitrircalitrir Posts: 4
    Sep 05, 2018

It is the international point of view that Spectrum is attempting to curtail.

At least here in NYC, after taking over from  Time-Warner, they removed France 24, CCTV, and the Japan channel, in addition to RT.  Who owns Spedtrum, Trump?

Sep 05, 2018

@calitrir wrote:

It is the international point of view that Spectrum is attempting to curtail.

At least here in NYC, after taking over from  Time-Warner, they removed France 24, CCTV, and the Japan channel, in addition to RT.  Who owns Spedtrum, Trump?

No.  The illuminati are not trying to curtail what you can watch.  Be rest assured, they are removing channels that do not warrant carriage based on the bottom line, and that's the almighty dollar.  They wish to free up bandwidth assigned to video services and re-allocate it to IP services (internet, phone, on-demand).

CCTV used to be available on an over-the-air LowPower TV Station.  I think they took the money and ran as a result of the FCC Spectrum (no pun intented) Auction.  Since they are off the air, there simply might be no source Spectrum is required to carry - so they don't.

As far as RT, they have been known to PAY Spectrum for carriage.  For all we know, RT stopped cutting checks to Spectrum, so the plug was pulled.  (Or maybe the weak Russion Ruble has forced the end of carriage).

There also used to be some Korean channels, also available over the air on Low Power UHF stations in the City.  They too, may have gone dark as a result of the spectrum auction.

I can't speak for the French channel of which you write.

• PosadaPosada Posts: 2
    Sep 05, 2018

RT covered how the sanctions against Venezuela is preventing teleSUR journalists around the world from getting paid. And the next very day, RT is GONE.

BRING RT BACK! STOP RESTRICTING SPEECH!!! OR THIS FAMILY IS GOING DISH!!! And add teleSUR and PressTV.

Sep 05, 2018

@Posada wrote:

RT covered how the sanctions against Venezuela is preventing teleSUR journalists around the world from getting paid. And the next very day, RT is GONE.

BRING RT BACK! STOP RESTRICTING SPEECH!!! OR THIS FAMILY IS GOING DISH!!! And add teleSUR and PressTV.

Again, you seem to miss the point...  RT probably PAID cable companies for carriage.  (It's typically the other way around, where the cable company pays the network).

For all we know, RT simply stopped paying.  So the plug was pulled.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/putins-propaganda-tv-lies-about-its-popularity

Scroll down to read about their ratings and how they deliver their programming...  They pay YOU to watch...

Sep 05, 2018
    Again, a lot (if not all) of that content is available for free... either through their own standalone apps or through a free service's app (or perhaps ad supported... but still free to the viewer).

As others have noted, some may have been paying services to include their streams, and for whatever reason those deals have ceased.

At the end of the day, they are a business. The typical goal of most businesses is to make money in the end, not loose it.
  • PosadaPosada Posts: 2
    Sep 05, 2018

Your speculation isnt helping anyone. Fact is RT is gone. And I want back. SIMPLE.

Dont complicate things with sappiness.

• SatchSatch Posts: 3,637 helper
    Sep 05, 2018

@Posada wrote:

Got to warn you about Dish,

They lose channels EVERY TME there is a contract fee dispute and the customer never gets them back.  This isn't about speech censorship.

Did you know that TWC was one of the first systems to offer Fox News?  Many Fox News watchers also are interested in The Blaze, which legacy Charter has on its systems.  On two occasions, TWC went to Glenn Beck  who owns The Blaze and wanted to add it at the same rate that it had been offered to legacy Charter systems.  Beck wanted a ton more money, almost the equivalent of an ESPN sports channel  And sports channels are the most expensive to rent to customers and maintain.  Truth is, if ESPN was dropped from your line up and its sister stations, everyone's cable bills would go down about $25/ a month.  Disney/ABC, the owners of ESPN's Networks, refuse to move the station to TWC Sports Pass or to Spectrum Gold.  Sports programs are the main reasons for the cost of cable TV increasing.  And the amount we pay, doesn't even hold a candle to the amount that the cable/dish provider has to pay to show these sports games and events.

Think of the cost of one ticket to a baseball game, a tennis match, a world championship boxing match with good seats.  And that's just for ONE MATCH!  That's how much the provider tries to regulate costs to keep the rates within reasonable limits.

But on The Blaze, both times, Glenn Beck said "No." and was unwilling to accept the The Blaze be a part of Spectrum's newly acquired TWC/BHN's former systems for legacy Charter's old price.  This is the same reason why Russia TV probably wanted too much money for a new contract, Spectrum decided that the viewership wasn't there, so they did not feel the need to work on a new contract.

Satch

Sep 05, 2018
    But it isn't "gone". Dropped from Spectrum's lineup, but that is not denying your access to the content.

Took me just seconds to search, install, launch, and start their live feeds on their standalone Roku app. It offered me 4 different LIVE streams to choose from, as well as on demand archive content.

It is readily available FOR FREE... so why PAY for it?
  • calitrircalitrir Posts: 4
    Sep 07, 2018

The primary effect of Spectrum's eliminating the English language channels from Russia,

France, China, and  Japan is to reduce our City's international standing. Plainly political given that two Israeli channels have been added.

Perhaps they were able to get more money from CNN, Fox, and NBC by making theirs the only news available. The net effect is harmful to the public iterest and should be condemned on that basis

This discussion has been closed.