Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Spectrum took over TWC webmail in nov 2017 and it's really bad

rvaudiorvaudio Posts: 1
in Email Jan 10, 2020

I'm sorry, but I don't understand how Spectrum webmail can be so bad, missing features and have features that don't work most of the time.

Seems most people realize how slow it is. It was slow in nov 2017 then too, but it's gotten a lot worse, a lot slower, since then (or maybe I'm imagining that).

TWC webmail wasn't lightning, but was usable speed.

When is Spectrum webmail going to have sort by date, sort by subject, sort by from.

TWC webmail had this. I thought sort by date might just be the default. Turns out, I look in some of my folders to discover, it's not completely sorted by date. some pages have dates all over the place.  Is this not kinda ridiculous for webmail.

One of my webmail accounts has like 120 pages (if 20 emails per page view). With TWC webmail, I could get to page 25 really quick. There was a page parameter in the URL, i could just change it to 25. With Spectrum webmail, from page 1, I can click on 5, that takes a long time to load up, then I would have to click on 6, long time load, 7, long time load, 8, 9, 10, 11 etc. That's, to put it kindly, crazy! Who came up with this UI?

And search doesn't work half the time. It runs a long time, you get the well known Spectrum webmail spinning clockface or throbber (found that word when googling), and then after 4 to 5 minutes, it errors out. 

Can't tell you how many times after a long spinning clockface processing, I end up with a notice: Error: Error occurred loading messages from server.

4 to 5 minutes of time suck. Try again. More time wasted

I'm amazed there aren't many more complaints, gobs of complaints. Maybe there are and I've not seen them all. Maybe people (like I have) are calling costumer service. Costumer service agents are always very nice. But they can't do anything. They're not the programmers or the hirers of programmers.

Is everyone using POP or IMAP with some other client? What client works best with Spectrum webmail servers.

What's the solution? I need to get to some older emails now. And I can't. I need to sort, organize my mailboxes, and I can't, not with Spectrum webmail, extreme slowness, scary not working features or lack thereof, not goto page function, no sorting, search that works only very seldom, only if you don't try to search further than a few pages.

HELP!!!

Comments

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭✭
    Jan 10, 2020
    They don't really "do" email anymore. Don't think it is even pushed as a feature in their marketing anymore.

It is basically in maintenance mode... just keeping the lights on for legacy support kind of thing.

May want to look into moving to somethimg else like Gmail, Yahoo, or Microsoft's hotmail/livemail/outlook/whatever they call it now.

As for standalone clients, I used to use Thunderbird back in the day. Basically a firefox kind of email client... was very customizable.
  • SatchSatch Posts: 3,636 helper
    Jan 10, 2020

@RAIST5150 wrote:
    They don't really "do" email anymore. Don't think it is even pushed as a feature in their marketing anymore.

It is basically in maintenance mode... just keeping the lights on for legacy support kind of thing.

May want to look into moving to somethimg else like Gmail, Yahoo, or Microsoft's hotmail/livemail/outlook/whatever they call it now.

As for standalone clients, I used to use Thunderbird back in the day. Basically a firefox kind of email client... was very customizable.

My answer needs to be pinned as a solution on  the email part of the forums,

This question comes up a lot and my answer is the same each time. The following is true in this day and age with regard to cable companies and email:

CATV providers were never meant to be email providers and are not really into email anymore.  I realize that there are some TWC business accounts and legacy users with Road Runner, but email has never been and never will be a cable companies thing.  The email part of their services is provided "as is" with little updating or maintenance.

Users should if they can covert to a free web-mail provider.  Free webmail will work access ALL devices with an Internet Connection and will be there for the user for the rest of his/her life.  Get one adblocker for each web browser if you don't already have one, (More than one blocker will conflict) Don't have an Ad Blocker, get Ad Block Plus.

Switch to Yahoo Mail, Gmail, or Outlook.com for your webmail provider.  Outlook and Gmail will also provide a free Online Office Suite with their webmail accounts.  Gmal gives you Google Drive and Outlook.com gives you Office Online.  Much more modern and secure than Spectrum Mail and is always up-to-date.

Still on Road Runner/Spectrum Mail? Risk losing all your messages and address book contacts, should Spectrum choose to abandon the email portion of their services.  Have the issues that those have been talking about for years.  Spectrum is only holding on the email as a courtesy plan for legacy Road Runner accounts.  However, do not expect any major changes for updates or security on Spectrum Mail.  Email has never been a cable company's top concern and even less so now.  Time to switch to a web mail provider.

Satch

• cp0015cp0015 Posts: 23
    Jan 14, 2020

The Old TWC Roadrunner Webmail interface was good to navigate folders and messages, before Spectrum E-Mail replaced it as its base standard for e-mail access since it bought TWC and Brighthouse cable providers.

The current Spectrum E-Mail interface seems not a fit for those with a lot of inbox messages. When performing several message actions (such as move or delete), it requires clicking two (2) times to complete a task (which can be annoying). The throbber used to load messages can be an un-usual thing as pages were loading in background to finish as possible.

So Spectrum would need to re-do their current webmail interface to be without those issues stated above. Until then, use another Non-Spectrum e-mail provider such as Yahoo! Mail, Outlook Mail or others, or stick with the current Spectrum one with its issues.

• jeontejeonte Posts: 1
    Jan 27, 2020

I have been dealing with TWC/Spectrum Email since 2011.  When I started using the webmail it was not that bad but has become consistantly worse through the years.  Right now, it is not even usable.  Just signing on takes 3-4 minutes to connect.  Deleting emails requires a "2-3 time" try.  Unbelievable.

Tech support was not able to help but my suggestion is 2-fold:

1.  Go into settings and have all Spectrum webmail emails forwarded to a more user-friendly email service such as "Yahoo", "Outlook", "Cloud" or "G-Mail".

2.  Spend the time necessary to change all of your important emails to one of the above-mentioned email services.  It may take some time but it is well worth it.  That requires notifying all of your accounts and individuals of a new email service.

Really didn't want to "down" Spectrum webmail but I cannot believe that it is as bad as it is!

This discussion has been closed.