Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Cannot send email using Thunderbird anymore. What changed?

trader4300trader4300 Posts: 20
in Email Jan 12, 2020

So I get this error every time I try to send an email using thunderbird on my laptop:
"An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting: p-impout004.msg.pkvw.co.charter.net cmsmtp 205.185.222.208 blocked AUP#CMBL."

So for no reason that I can think of, the hand shaking to the Spectrtum POP server messed up. I spent hours on the phone yesterday and when they couldn't fix it, I was told "dont worry, someone will work on this and get back to you". 

After some research into this issue this morning, I find out there is a history of issues with the POP servers. 

Can anybody resolve this issue? What should I do?
BTW, I can send emails using my phone. I can send emails from the webmail. I cannot send emails using TB on my account or my wife's account. All the settings are correct.

Thank-you
POP 

Comments

• ddeerrffddeerrff Posts: 151 ✭✭✭✭
    Jan 09, 2020

Just recently got a new Win 10 machine and intalled the latest version of Thunderbird (68.3.1).  Set up my main @WI.rr.com email and two other @WI.rr.com accounts using IMAP.  Seems like my Mail client is not consistantly pulling the email from the server (syncing).  Two of the three accounts are working mostly but the one I use the most is the worst.  I will see email on the webmail page, but no amount of 'get mail' commands from my client bring the mail to my clients inbox.  Often, I will get mail on my client that is two or three days old. 

I have deleted and recreated the account on Thunderbird, but the problem continues. 

Really strange that if I shut down and restart Thunderbird, all the emails on the server are pulled into my inbox.  If I change my password security from none to SSL/TLS, the email will sync.  If I change it from SSL.TLS to none and there is email on the server, Thunderbird will sync. 

It's almost as if the server is not recognizing the request from Thunderbird or Thunderbird is not sending a request. 

Jan 09, 2020

I'm using -

IMAP Server:  mail.twc.com:993

SMTP Server:  mail.twc.com:587

SSL/TLS

Normal password

Then there is this:Annotation 2020-01-09 104938.png

See anything strange?

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,081 ADMIN
    Jan 09, 2020

The port numbers are correct.  

The servers need to be updated:

• Incoming Email Server: mobile.charter.net
    • Outgoing Email Server: mobile.charter.net
    Jan 09, 2020

I'll give that a try.

Jan 09, 2020

Can't log in to that server.  It will not accept my username/PW. 

Also tried

imap.spectruminc.com:143

sslmail.spectruminc.com:993

and neither work. 

Only server address that allows me to access my account is mail.twc.com, and that seems to be intermittant/inconsistant. 

Jan 09, 2020

Did you also enable SSL?  

Jan 09, 2020

"Connection Security" is set to SSL/TLS

"Authentication method" set to Normal Password

I don't see anything else in the setup that makes any reference to 'SSL'.

Jan 10, 2020

Thanks.  Are you able to complete set up on a different device or different email client?  

Jan 10, 2020

Was just going to report on that.  Right now I have 5 unread messages on the server as reported by Webmail.  Only 4 of those messages made it to Thunderbird on the new Win 10 machine.  All the messages made it to two other clients:

Not working - Thunderbird (68.4.1) on a new Windows 10 home Dell

imap: mail.twc.com:993

SSL/TLS, normal password

All messages made it to: Windows native 'Mail' app on the new Win 10 machine

It auto set up, and is set as

Currently syncing: every 2 hours

Incoming email server: mail.twc.com:993:1

Requires SSL for incoming email

All messages made it to:  Email app on my Samsung S7 Android phone

Auto set up

Syncs ever 15 minutes

imap server: mail.twc.com

Security type: None

Port: 143

Sure begining to sound like a Thunderbird problem.  But what could cause it to sync some messages but not all? ...and for the reticent messages to sync if I shut down then restart Thunderbird. 

Jan 12, 2020

I'm also having issues using Thunderbird with Spectrum mail servers.  In my case, I'm on the mail.twc.com server, and I am using IMAP.  My problem involes getting new messages.  Thunderbird isn't properly syncing with the Spectrum servers.

After working on it here, and then taking it to the Mozilla Thunderbird forum, I'm begining to think there are some major compatability issues between Thunderbird and the way the Spectrum servers are configured. 

• trader4300trader4300 Posts: 20
    Jan 13, 2020
    Something must have changed on their end. When speaking with their pseudo tech, I got the impression they are aware of this issue.
    Perhaps someone from Spectrum can chime in here.
    Jan 13, 2020

It has got to be some incompatibility between Thunderbird and the mail.twc.com servers. I installed a fresh copy of Thunderbird on a different Windows 10 machine that had never had Thunderbird installed - so it was definitely a clean install. Same symptoms, but they sync and don't sync different messages. How do I get someone to look into this?

Jan 14, 2020

Moving this to a different path.......

I recently moved from a Win 7 machine to a Win 10 machine. In setting up Thunderbird on the new machine, I decided to use IMAP instead of the POP3 I was using on the old machine.

Thunderbird auto-setup wants to use the server mobile.charter.net, which is the same server recommended by a Spectrum spokesman.  However, with an @WI.rr.com email address, mobile.charter.net does not recognize me and I can't log on to that email server. For many years, I have been using mail.twc.com, and that server still allows me to log on. However, I suspect that legacy server is not being maintained properly, and it is creating a problem for me trying to use IMAP. (Thunderbird is not recognizing all new messages)

How would I go about getting my credentials recognized by mobile.spectrum.net so that I could use that server? I DO NOT WANT TO CHANGE EMAIL ADDRESSES. I've had this email address almost since the inception of TWC and changing it would be quite problematic.

Jan 14, 2020
    Different Path? Is the thunderbird communication issue with spectrum servers corrected? Where are we?
    Jan 14, 2020

Going on 4 days now and still no email via Thunderbird & Spectrum. Something changed and it wasn't Thunderbird. I was using the TWC  address before but tried the mobile.charter.net setting for both incoming and outgoing mail. My mail still will not download from your server and I still cannot write an email. This is the message I get.

An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting: p-impout001.msg.pkvw.co.charter.net cmsmtp 205.185.222.131 blocked AUP#CMBL.

So, Spectrum guy, can you decypher this error message and get me back running again?

Jan 14, 2020

Someone seems to have merged two threads here.  My issue is Thunderbird not seeing all the new messages on the server.  For example right now there are 19 new messages showing up on the webmail page, but Thunderbird has only loaded 15 of them.  Trying to work the issue both here and on the Mozilla Thunderbird forums.  TB works everywhere except mail.twc.com, and mail.twc.com seems good with other mail clients (Win10 'Mail' and 'Mail' on my phone).  So it seems like a compatability issue.  Both TB auto-setup and Spectrum support tell me to use the server "mobile.charter.net", but with the old wi.rr.com email address, that server does not recognize me.  The only server that I can log into is mail.twc.com, and I suspect that one is not being maintained well anymore. 

Jan 14, 2020
    Yea, I used the new credentials and I think it recognized me but I still get the error message I posted. I think it is saying in SpectrumLanguage that I am being blocked.
    Jan 15, 2020
    Did they move you from mail.twc.com to mobile.charter.net? If they did, it sounds like they missed something.
    Jan 15, 2020
    No, they havent done a thing. All I did was to change my server settings as was suggested on this forum. However, that didnt change a thing. I am using the same settings on my phone that I was using with TB. We need a resolution from Spectrum. Are you listening???
    Jan 15, 2020
    I did clear my logs and then tried to write an email so I could record everything. This is what was logged.

NS_NOINTERFACE: Component returned failure code: 0x80004002 (NS_NOINTERFACE) [nsISupports.QueryInterface] stack-trace-collector.js:84
    window.controllers/Controllers is deprecated. Do not use it for UA detection. blank
    XUL box for statusbarpanel element contained an inline #text child, forcing all its children to be wrapped in a block. 2 messengercompose.xul
    XUL box for statusbarpanel element contained an inline #text child, forcing all its children to be wrapped in a block. toolbarIconColor.js:69:31
    XUL box for statusbarpanel element contained an inline #text child, forcing all its children to be wrapped in a block. messengercompose.xul
    XUL box for statusbarpanel element contained an inline #text child, forcing all its children to be wrapped in a block. messenger.xul
    Expected ‘none’, URL, or filter function but found ‘alpha(’. Error in parsing value for ‘filter’. Declaration dropped. index.html:3:94
    Jan 15, 2020

Can't help with your problem trader, but I finding out a bit more about mine.  There *is* an incompatability between Thunderbird and the Charter imap servers.  The Charter imap servers  do not properly implement the standards. 

[much of this translated by me, and may not be technically correct, but get's the idea across]

Some email programs send a 'redundant' SELECT command on the inbox before doing the FETCH.  Thunderbird does not send an extra SELECT command on the inbox if the last selected location was the inbox.  The imap server is supposed to remember the last selected.  Appearantly the Charter imap server does not, so when Thunderbird tried to get new messages, the server does not know where to look.  Rebooting TB causes it to send again the SELECT command and it is able to see all the new message -- until somethin new new shows up.

Jan 15, 2020
    I was having problems just connecting to their imap server. So I deleted all my tbird accounts and created a new account. But first, I went into Spectrum and changed my pwd. I then used this pwd to put into tbird account.
    Anyways, didnt matter. I still get error when connecting that says "unable to log in at server. Probably wrong configuration or username or password
    Jan 15, 2020

Do you have a [email protected] address? (or maybe other legacy email addresses)  Which imap server are you trying to use?

Jan 16, 2020

Sounds like Charter is using long obsolete/unsupported email software.   Openwave/Openwave Email MX/Unwired Planet/Openwave Messaging/Synchronoss Technologies/Synchronoss messaging/Synchronoss Email Suite/Intermail.  From a Thunderbird support expert "I lost track of exactly when the Intermail product was no longer supported but according to one bug report four years ago your ISP was using version 9.0 of the software, and your log file shows they're currently using 9.0.1."

Come on Charter, Update your server to something that is fully RFC3501 compliant. 

Jan 16, 2020
    So I changed my settings in TB to use Imap as they suggested. However, I still cant connect to their servers. Getting error that says "Unable to log in to server. Probably wrong configuration, username, or password."
    So I put the same info into my phone email client and it works fine.
    When is somebody going to look into this
    Jan 16, 2020

What email server are you trying to use?  Are you using mobile.charter.net?  If you have a legacy account, that server will not recognize your credentials.  If you have a rr.com account like I do try using mail.twc.com as the email server.  Port = 993, security = SSL/TLS, normal password. 

Jan 18, 2020
    Hey, I will try anything at this point. A while back, Spectrum James (who is now MIA) suggested we change to charter.mobile.net which I did but it doesnt recognize me. So, I will change it back to what I had and still use the Imap server
    Jan 18, 2020
    So, I made those changes and tried several times including changing my password on webmail to no avail. I guess I will call on monday and see if someone can get me connected.
    Jan 19, 2020
    It only gets worse. After trying all the suggestions in this thread. I keep getting the "I dont recognize" you message. So I am thinking its the password. So I log into webmail and change the password. I use this password with Tbird and get the same message. So I change it again and to change the default pwd they give me to something else, I need to go to support.spectrum.com. Guess what. That site doesnt recognize my new password. Could it be that the support site uses a different pwd than the webmail site? Crazy right? So now even my phone email doesnt work. No email all weekend. Need to call support Monday and hopefully someone can get me working. Apparently, support isnt following the forum.
  • Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,177 Lead Mod
    Jan 19, 2020

Your Spectrum.net Login may or may not be your email and password. They are not always, that depends on how you set that up.

Changing your password for your Spectrum.net will not change your password for your email. 

For direct support you can reach us at 

Twitter: @Ask_Spectrum

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Spectrum

1-855-70-SPECTRUM (855-707-7328)

Regards,

Julia

Social Media Customer Service-Lead Moderator

This discussion has been closed.