Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Slow Email?

njtaylornjtaylor Posts: 1
in Email Jan 12, 2020

\Is it just me or is the email system from Time Warner, Spectrum, Charter, whatever name you want to call it, as horribly slow?  My email is so slow that I get irritated and give up trying to use it.  It has been like this from Day 1.  I rarely even log on to check it anymore.  The only time I do is when I have to log in to get an email from somewhere when I used the rr email as my contact email.  I never use this email for any sign ups for anything anymore.  You would think that as much money as this company makes the email system would be lightening fast.  And what is up with not being able to find out what I am paying for with my "Turbo" internet.  I thought I was paying for 50 mpbs and I get 23.  So sad... 

Comments

• SatchSatch Posts: 3,708 helper
    Jan 12, 2020

@njtaylor wrote:

\Is it just me or is the email system from Time Warner, Spectrum, Charter, whatever name you want to call it, as horribly slow?  My email is so slow that I get irritated and give up trying to use it.  It has been like this from Day 1.  I rarely even log on to check it anymore.  The only time I do is when I have to log in to get an email from somewhere when I used the rr email as my contact email.  I never use this email for any sign ups for anything anymore.  You would think that as much money as this company makes the email system would be lightening fast.  And what is up with not being able to find out what I am paying for with my "Turbo" internet.  I thought I was paying for 50 mpbs and I get 23.  So sad... 

See my post in this thread for the email solution:

https://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Email/Spectrum-took-over-TWC-webmail-in-nov-2017-and-it-s-really-bad/m-p/165328#M6997

Satch

• theVOICEofBOBtheVOICEofBOB Posts: 2
    Jan 17, 2020

The answer is to use another email application? If I pay for a service, and that service also has email, and the provider has a web client that they promote, then it is on Spectrum to fix this. It is so incredibly slow I also don't check it often. All of my other email accounts use web apps with no issues. Spectrum should be able to do the same.

Bob

• SatchSatch Posts: 3,708 helper
    Jan 18, 2020

@theVOICEofBOB wrote:

The answer is to use another email application? If I pay for a service, and that service also has email, and the provider has a web client that they promote, then it is on Spectrum to fix this. It is so incredibly slow I also don't check it often. All of my other email accounts use web apps with no issues. Spectrum should be able to do the same.

Bob

I agree Bob 100%

But the cable techs that have email services are only moderately trained in the email technologies. Therefore, they only see a need to occasionally update if at all, and are slow to fix problems.  Whereas with CATV, High Speed Internet, Phone, and Mobile, they do a much better job in those areas because they invest much more in those technologies than email.

Satch

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,284 Lead Mod
    Jan 18, 2020

Good morning.

When we are looking at issues causing slow response, this is normally due to having a overly large number of emails in the inbox or having too many subfolders. 

We encourage you to use a 3rd party mail client to download the emails off of our 

server. Once that is done, you can store those locally on your device/computer and should

see less latency on the webmail.spectrum.net site. 

Julia R

• Twinmom95Twinmom95 Posts: 5
    Jan 20, 2020

Webmail has become a joke.  Interesting that Spectrum's response is to use a 3rd party email provider.  Does it not occur to Spectrum that switching to another email provider makes it MORE likely i.e. easier to switch to another internet provider?  Pretty amazing that Spectrum's best response is to use another email provider - great response to people that have been using a roadrunner email for 20+ years!  While webmail under Time Warner wasn't great, it was at least usable.  It's now a joke under Spectrum!

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,284 Lead Mod
    Jan 20, 2020

@Twinmom95 , We are suggesting to use a third party email client to download the email off of the server.

Latency while logging in, or while navigating the email website, is most noted when 

the mailbox is overfull, or when there are a large number of sub folders. Downloading those, removing them from the server, should restore normal function.

Julia R. 

• twinb413twinb413 Posts: 1
    Jan 30, 2020

The funny thing about that response from Spectrum is that I have tried three different third party email clients but not one is even able to verify the username or password - even with correct server settings.

I was told by Spectrum that there is nothing more they can do other than ensure I have the correct settings. They could not guarantee that any third party would be able to solve the problem.

• lmonahanlmonahan Posts: 2
    Mar 03, 2020

I agree that the webmail is horribly slow.  Spectrum says to use a 3rd party app, but there's a reason I use webmail first.

Due to the amount of spam I get in my Inbox, I use filters in webmail to put spam into another folder, then mark everything as "SPAM" so that it will be reported to Spectrum (not that it does a lot of good).  Then I just download the non-spam emails to Outlook.
    Example: emails where sender has ".space" or ".nl" or certain other domains gets moved to "ToDelete".  Anything not .com, .org or .net gets moved to "MaybeDelete".  Then I double-check before marking it all spam.
    If Spectrum had a better spam filter, then I wouldn't have to use webmail to filter it all out.  But since the spam filter sucks, I'm doing my due diligence to report as much spam as possible insted of deleting it.

At work, I used Outlook webmail all the time and never had a problem.  I never had a problem with Yahoo webmail or GMail either.  Spectrum needs to update their system and get with the program!

• a-l-e-xa-l-e-x Posts: 4
    Mar 24, 2020

Past couple of months after entering password for e mail,  sometimes it is very slow to load and other times only the outer border loads till e mail finally loads.   My computer's  pop up said it was a server problem.   Anybody else with this problem,   Remember a couple of years ago when called TWC about 10% of customers across the country could not reach roadrunner at all and TWC would  tell you it was your computer software or hardware or modem or firewall and finally it came out,   it was their server and when they figured it out they,   TWC,   still would not admit it.   Some people paid outside tech service or even TWC to fix problem and could not till they fixed the server.    Anybody have a comment.

• synchron50synchron50 Posts: 1
    Mar 24, 2020

I call BS on the 'too many messages' causing webmail to be slow.  Spectrum is promoting 5GB of storage allocated to email.  I'm at most around 2M  - 10M of that 5GB and it is still unbelievably slow.

Get it together charter spectrum!

• lmonahanlmonahan Posts: 2
    Mar 28, 2020

I'm up to 10MB only because Spectrum isn't emptying my Spam folder as they should be.  I gave up trying to delete the spam myself because it was taking too long.  Yes, I've reported this a few times to Spectrum already.

I still have spam in Spam folder going back to November 14, 2019 (the last time I emptied the folder), over 900 emails!

Per https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/marking-emails-spam-tb

"Emails in the Spam folder are automatically deleted after 14 days."  NOT!

Per https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/how-delete-emails-bhn-twc

"Emails in the Trash folder are automatically deleted after 3 days. Emails in the Spam folder are automatically deleted after 14 days."   Trash is getting deleted, but not Spam.

• crimewatchercrimewatcher Posts: 55
    May 10, 2020
    No longer having a problem with slow e-mail after they upgraded them. For once, I can leave a positive comment about the improvement in speed of the mail servers. E-mail is much faster and I didn't have to clear my cache as requested numerous times by support personnel.
This discussion has been closed.