Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

DVR Recordings fragmented into multiple recordings for 1 show

Jaime_CharlotteJaime_Charlotte Posts: 4
in TV Equipment May 07, 2020

A weird issue has surfaced on both my DVRs. When I record a show, the recording is made but it is broken into multiple individual recordings.  For example, a 2 hour movie may show as 8 or 10 different pieces of different seemingly random lenghts. When you watch a piece, at the end it asks if you want to delete and watch the next one.  Why would it be doing this? I have not modified any settings on the DVR.  It is doing this on two separate boxes and I have reset both but still doing the same thing.

Comments

• reds91185reds91185 Posts: 2,452
    May 07, 2020

Does it do this on only one show consistently or random shows at random times?

Could be that the DVRs are losing signal. When you watch live tv does the picture stall, pixelate, freeze, etc? Do you have Spectrum internet as well? Do you see dropouts?

• SatchSatch Posts: 3,629 helper
    May 07, 2020

@reds91185 wrote:

Does it do this on only one show consistently or random shows at random times?

Could be that the DVRs are losing signal. When you watch live tv does the picture stall, pixelate, freeze, etc? Do you have Spectrum internet as well? Do you see dropouts?

I agree with Reds,

This sounds like a signal issue. About four years ago, we had issues with skipped recordings and other issues with pixilation. Tech came out, did a whole re-wiring of the house. One of our main cable lines was completely dead and needed to be replaced. We have had no missed recordings since or recordings that would split up in fragments.

Remember that no box swaps will ever solve signal issues or line issues. You need to contact Spectrum for a signal and drop line test. Mention this be put on the work order. Avoid rebooting any boxes, modems, or routers for at least six hours prior to your service call. Equipment reboots will cause a reset of the signal error codes that the tech needs to see.  If you can, please post for us a screenshot showing an example of a fragmented recording.  You can also save this screenshot to show the tech when he comes to check the signals and lines.

Satch

• Jaime_CharlotteJaime_Charlotte Posts: 4
    May 13, 2020

Thanks both for the replies.  There are no dropouts when we watch tv or internet issues.  We do ocassionally see on recordings some pixelation but really never on live TV.   I don't think it is the boxes either because it happens on 2 different boxes (though identical models).  I will call Spectrum for a check and will update here once they check it out. thanks everyone.

• JKellyJKelly Posts: 67
    May 13, 2020

I have the same issue, but it only happens with MeTV recordings. Very strange. Also, if I delete the four segments, they come back in a few mins. 

May 13, 2020

20200513_162519.jpg

May 14, 2020

@JKelly wrote:

I have the same issue, but it only happens with MeTV recordings. Very strange. Also, if I delete the four segments, they come back in a few mins. 

My recommendations,

Watch a show on ME TV "Live" as you are recording it to observe the station's picture quality.  Every once in a blue moon we have the picture go out for about 10 seconds on ME TV, but the recordings do not split and there is no pixilation or signal problem.  It happens so rarely that I think it would be a very difficult situation for a tech to pin down.  Play back the live show you watched. Watch for a loss of picture and pixiation.

I would contact Spectrum for a signal check for METV about the DVR splitting recordings.  Remember to avoid rebooting any boxes, modems, or routers for six hours prior to your service call to check METV's signal levels.  If you aren;t having problems with your box, I would ask the tech to leave the box alone. Any other issues with the box?

If the tech finds nothing wrong, I wonder if there could be a problem with METV's signals themselves coming from the head end? If it comes to this, contact METV, say that you are having recordings being split up and that their engineering team should contact your main city to find out about the signal transmission.  Say you had the cable guy out and he found nothing wrong.

Satch

• emmy68emmy68 Posts: 1
    May 18, 2020

When I set a 1-hour show to record on my Spectrum DVR, I get the recording in 3 segments.  There's a 2-minute segment, followed by a 32 minute segment, and fnally a 26-minute segment.  Why don't I get one 60 minute recording?  I don't seem to have this problem if I record a 30 minute show.

May 18, 2020

Satch: I suspect it could be the MeTV signal. This issue only happens with recordings of that channel. Its very strange. I wish the powers to be @ Spectrum would know about this issue by now. But, as usaul, they have done nothing. If it was an issue with cell phones, they would jump on it immediately.  I forgot to mention that these shows can not be deleted. After I delete, they return to the recorded list. 

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,168 Lead Mod
    May 18, 2020

Judging from the behavior of the DVR that there is a problem with the box going into one way mode during the recordings.

If the box is doing this and is in one way mode when you are trying to delete it would not work.

I encourage you to contact support on this for investigation. 

Julia 

May 18, 2020

Wanted to get back to you on this.

I was able to find out that the fragmentation of the DVR recordings is a known issue and is something we are currently working to resolve. I am sorry that I was not aware of this prior to my message. 

Julia 

May 19, 2020

OK Thanx, but this has been happening for about ten days now. How long does it take to resolve? 

May 19, 2020

I  am sorry. There is no estimated date listed for this to be  resolved listed.

Julia 

May 20, 2020

@Julia_R wrote:

I  am sorry. There is no estimated date listed for this to be  resolved listed.

Julia 

So that we can follow along with this,

Is this support ticket only for the break up of shows on METV running Spectrum Guide or are other shows breaking up on other stations as well?

Satch

May 20, 2020

It seems to be only on MeTV.  In addition, I recorded a program last week, and I can not delete it. 

May 21, 2020

At $200 per month for service, this is unacceptable. Smiley Mad

May 26, 2020

Three weeks now, and still no fix. Anyone else out there having the same issue? 

JJK

This discussion has been closed.