Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Netgear C3000 - Not exceeding 50 MBPS

kebi81kebi81 Posts: 1
in Connectivity May 15, 2020

Team,

I have been using Netgear C3000 model router/modem combo for my internet. I was recently got into 200 Mbps plan as part of moving from one location to other. Earlier i used to have 100 Mbps plan. 

I tried doing a speed test using ethernet cable and suprised to see my router combo getting only at 35 Mbps. I tried repeating the speed test at multiple instances and it didn't increase much.

My question here: Is this model C3000 don't have capability to handle spectrum mentioned speed ? Model spec has all details to support upto 300 Mbps. Please advice.

Best Answer

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    May 15, 2020 Accepted Answer
    The theoretical top speed is assuming you get the full ~38mbps throughput across all channels with no errors/retransmits.

But this is not running in a clean lab environment and all that bandwidth is getting shared with others.

So in reality, you are more likely to get roughly the equivalent of around 1/4 to 1/3 of that when the network comes under higher loads.

That modem is limited to only 8 downstream channels, so you are at risk if dropping below 100mbps usable throughput when the node comes under decent loads.

Need to move to at least a 16 channel model to give yourself more headroom. If you are on a Spectrum plan (not legacy TWC and such), then you can get a modem through them at no charge. Just be mindful of their $5 wifi charge if they are managing wifi on their device. If you provide and manage your own wireless router, you can get that fee removed.

Replies

This discussion has been closed.