Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Does Spectrum still give out leased slow cable modems (with phone service) with Intel Puma?

antant Posts: 693
in Connectivity May 16, 2020

A couple days ago, this old leased six years old Arris TG1672G cable modem started getting slow and then noticed its 192.168.100.1 was slow with very high pings and its site access. I read that there are no firmware fixes on this well known Intel Puma 6 issue. I already tried resetting (reboot) this cable modem and my own router. I guess I will need to replace it with a new leased cable modem from a local Spectrum store, but did Spectrum stop giving out those problematic cable modems with Puma?

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. Smiley Happy

Comments

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,180 Lead Mod
    May 16, 2020

Morning! 

None of our modems are using the puma chipset that is known to be problematic.

If you are haivng connectivity issues please post additioanl informaiton. You canfind helpful informaiton to post here: Revised-Data-to-post-to-get-help-from-your-peers 

Julia 

• antant Posts: 693
    May 16, 2020

@Julia_R wrote:

Morning! 

None of our modems are using the puma chipset that is known to be problematic.

If you are haivng connectivity issues please post additioanl informaiton. You canfind helpful informaiton to post here: Revised-Data-to-post-to-get-help-from-your-peers 

Julia 

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32759640- has some of my ant(dude) posts with technical datas. It looks like I will need to swap for another cable modem.  And good morning. Smiley Happy

May 16, 2020

Is it true that Spectrum's newer leased cable modems don't have access to their signals, loggers, etc. in their 192.168.100.1? Smiley Sad

FYI. Cable modem and the Internet are better this morning so far, but I still see a few hundred ms pings here and there. Hmm! If this issue returns, then I will have to replace it soon.

• Smith6612Smith6612 Posts: 44
    May 17, 2020

Only the E31 "Spectrum" branded modems have disabled web interfaces. The older DOCSIS 3.0 models (of which there are plenty) still have an enabled web interface but this can change in the future.

Puma6 modems will be Arris made, and are typically the TM1602AP2 and the TG1672. The TM1602 isn't too bad and can be reasonably stable. The TG1672, at least in my market, is plagued with stability problems only because the firmware on it is a few years old and lacks a lot of the fixes Intel put out to modem manufacturers. The TG1672 likes to get used in business installations, and I refuse them. I see Spectrum has been slowly getting these out of their inventory, at least.

For Residential, expect one of the DOCSIS 3.1 modems.

May 17, 2020

@Smith6612 wrote:

Only the E31 "Spectrum" branded modems have disabled web interfaces. The older DOCSIS 3.0 models (of which there are plenty) still have an enabled web interface but this can change in the future.

Puma6 modems will be Arris made, and are typically the TM1602AP2 and the TG1672. The TM1602 isn't too bad and can be reasonably stable. The TG1672, at least in my market, is plagued with stability problems only because the firmware on it is a few years old and lacks a lot of the fixes Intel put out to modem manufacturers. The TG1672 likes to get used in business installations, and I refuse them. I see Spectrum has been slowly getting these out of their inventory, at least.

For Residential, expect one of the DOCSIS 3.1 modems.

OK, so Spectrum stores no longer carry new DOCSIS 3.0 cable modems for residential users. Smiley Sad  I'm surprised this TG1672G had been used for almost six years (10/4/2014 when replacing the slower and older Arris TM502G DOCSIS 2.0 / PacketCable 1.0 Touchstone Telephony Modem) until Thursday after its router service fee was removed and then remotely rebooted. Then, it started having high pings and slowness with 192.168.100.1 to make the Internet very slow and unstable. Signals and logs looked fine too (dang it, Spectrum -- bring 192.168.100.1 web stuff back to see our logs and statistics!). I wonder if Spectrum technical support broke this cable modem. I guess they really want me to get one of their new cable modems. Smiley Sad FYI:

Hwadware Info.:
    ARRIS DOCSIS 3.0 / PacketCable 2.0 Touchstone Residential Gateway
    HW_REV: 6
    VENDOR: Arris Interactive, L.L.C.
    BOOTR: 2.2.0.27
    SW_REV: 9.1.103J6TW2.SIP.PC20.TW
    MODEL: TG1672G
    Battery Charger FW Rev: 03.30

Firmware Build and Revisions:
    Firmware Name: TS0901103J6TW2_072417_16XX.GW_PC20_TW
    Firmware Build Time: Mon Jul 24 11:08:24 EDT 2017
    eSAFE 0 FW Revision: TS0901103J6TW2_072417_ARRIS_GW

Yep, its firmware is almost three years old.

This discussion has been closed.