Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Fast DL speed, slow streaming ability

richard5richard5 Posts: 1
in Connectivity May 12, 2020

I'm having problems with internet speed, although the speed test shows a high (plus 200) DL speed.  My internet pags are slow to load, but not all the time.  My streaming services only work periodically.  Spectrum modem and router.  Router was replaced yesterday and tech seemingly checked all connection indoor and out.  
This is hapoening on four different devices, two TVs and two computers.  
Any ideas?  

Comments

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭✭
    May 12, 2020

@richard5 wrote:

I'm having problems with internet speed, although the speed test shows a high (plus 200) DL speed.  My internet pages are slow to load, but not all the time.  My streaming services only work periodically.  Spectrum modem and router.  Router was replaced yesterday and tech seemingly checked all connection indoor and out.  
    This is happening on four different devices, two TVs and two computers.  
    Any ideas?  

First suggestion for getting all of your devices running quicker is to verify that your router is set to use Spectrum's DNS server site at 209.18.47.61 and 62 .  You get the fastest possible response times because they are located inside Spectrum's transport network, not outside at an IXP facility. 

The second step is to TURN OFF or DISABLE IPv6 addressing in your computers and router.  If you have fewer than fifty networked devices in your home and don't utilize a camera system you don't benefit from using IPv6. 

Third, check your WiFi  to be sure you don't have interference from a neighbor using the same or adjacent channel in their router. The more devices you can connect using CAT-5e cable inzstead of WiFi the faster all your gear will run. 

Most speed issues these days are caused by network IXP overloading because so many more folks are running their employer's business from home in residential areas that were never designed to support 24x7 high commercial traffic demand.  That should clear up as folks start going back to work, using their employer's high volume telephone and network connections rather than streaming multiple videos and gaming at home.  

• Smith6612Smith6612 Posts: 44
    May 17, 2020

@karlbeckman wrote:

The second step is to TURN OFF or DISABLE IPv6 addressing in your computers and router.  If you have fewer than fifty networked devices in your home and don't utilize a camera system you don't benefit from using IPv6. 

On the contrary, turning off IPv6 provides less route diversity AND can actually slow down connectivity on devices which will fall back to Teredo, like Windows and Xbox devices. IXP peering is more efficient on an IPv6 network, unless the network architect hasn't paid attention in the past decade. If Spectrum decides to move to Carrier Grade NAT in the future, IPv6 is going to be essential to maintain performance - Carrier Grade NAT middleware can, and does get bogged down during busier days, to the point where you'll start seeing "Waiting for TCP/IP Socket" messages.

The drawbacks to IPv6 usually boil down to the following:

• Routers (especially Broadcom based "Gamer" routers) which downgrade the Hardware Acceleration from Level 2 to Level 1, causing an underpowered CPU to take on more load. In some cases this is more desirable due to limited TCAM space on Broadcom Flow Accelerator.
    • Buggy modem firmware. Some modems like the SB6141 ran with firmware bugs which would mangle TCP traffic and cause modems to rewrite TCP Receive Scaling factors from whatever the device used, to 128. Spectrum currently deploys fixed firmware to these devices on the network. Now, modems like the TG1672 which are handed out by Spectrum, don't see performance problems with IPv6 BUT do experience stability issues if the market is pushing outdated firmware to the modems. Like in mine.
    • GeoIP. Rarely an issue for modern CDN, but more of an issue for sites using Broken DRM (when it is not broken?) with outdated GeoIP databases. Same problem can plague IPv4.

If IPv6 is slowing things down, it's better to investigate why, than to turn it off. If Spectrum would fix their DNS servers to run dual stack on their inner and outer interfaces, and have the inner interfaces announced to customer devices in the IPv6 RAs, that would fix a lot of problems with "Slowless"

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    May 18, 2020
    Another issue, maybe even a larger problem at that, is the slow adoption rate for IPv6.

Disabling it has been a fix for issues with some games. Not really old ones either.

So long as there is still such a strong reliance on V4 addressing in the public space, there are going to be issues running it in the home.
This discussion has been closed.