Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

"SpectrumWifi Plus" WAPs require me to enter my password?

antant Posts: 693
in Connectivity Jun 08, 2020

Back with former TWC WAPs, I could just automatically connect without logging in due to its provided profile in my old iPhone 4S (iOS v9.x). With Spectrum, it asks me to log in (already had my username, but it wanted my password) even though I installed and see "Spectrum WiFi" profile (signed by wifiprofile.spectrum.net with 7 Wi-Fi networks including "SpectrumWiFi Plus" and its WPA2) in my old iPhone 6+ (iOS v12.4.7). Isn't it supposed not to ask me to log in? :/

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering. Smiley Happy

Comments

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭✭
    Jun 09, 2020

Probably has to do with changing of the network name from TWC to Spectrum, therefore the authenticating server has changed.  Also tighter log-in security is now required by many of the content providers for most streaming apps, including their own. 

The WAP network found your account user name in Spectrum's records, then you still must add your password for the (new) Spectrum account into the new phone profile one time. 

• antant Posts: 693
    Jun 09, 2020

@karlbeckman wrote:

Probably has to do with changing of the network name from TWC to Spectrum, therefore the authenticating server has changed.  Also tighter log-in security is now required by many of the content providers for most streaming apps, including their own. 

The WAP network found your account user name in Spectrum's records, then you still must add your password for the (new) Spectrum account into the new phone profile one time. 

Thanks. I hope those WAPs are not fake. I don't want to get my login datas stolen when I do log into one next time! Is there a way to log into it from my home Spectrum's connection so I don't have to do it later when I go out?

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭✭
    Jun 11, 2020

@ant wrote:

Thanks. I hope those WAPs are not fake. I don't want to get my login data stolen when I do log into one next time! Is there a way to log into it from my home Spectrum's connection so I don't have to do it later when I go out?

It's a little late to be thinking about fake WAP IDs now. 

And the answer is that you can't do it from your home connection.  You must log in through  a 'WiFi Plus' access point so that the Spectrum WiFi network ID is paired in your phone with your password. 

Jun 11, 2020

@karlbeckman wrote:

@ant wrote:

Thanks. I hope those WAPs are not fake. I don't want to get my login data stolen when I do log into one next time! Is there a way to log into it from my home Spectrum's connection so I don't have to do it later when I go out?

It's a little late to be thinking about fake WAP IDs now. 

And the answer is that you can't do it from your home connection.  You must log in through  a 'WiFi Plus' access point so that the Spectrum WiFi network ID is paired in your phone with your password. 

A little late? How so? They still exist.

Jun 11, 2020

https://imgur.com/a/kfbvEBK for my (screen shot/capture)s from my old iPhone 6+ (iOS v12.4.7).