Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Use my own modem for internet and Phone?

dixiebabykinsdixiebabykins Posts: 3
in Connectivity Jul 02, 2020

I currently have a bundled (TV, Internet and Phone) plan.
I want to discontinue TV service and Buy/Use my own modem.

I was told that i could use my own modem for Internet but not for Phone.
Is this correct?

If so can i use the spectrum modem for phone and my own modem for Internet?
Is there a fee for the Phone only modem?

Thank you

Best Answer

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭✭
    Jul 02, 2020 Accepted Answer
    Might be better served to use your own router... will greatly simplify things. If something goes wrong with their modem, they replace it, and you would be in full control of your home network.

They can change bridge mode of their modem so it functions as just a pass through device, and then you have full control of your router--firewall, port forwarding, wifi, etc. is all under your control through your own router (which also means they waive their fee for managing wifi).

Replies

• dixiebabykinsdixiebabykins Posts: 3
    Jul 02, 2020

@ RAIST5150

That is an interesting idea

the spectrum modem i have is an ARRIS TG1672G

My current internet speed is 20 Mbps
    will this modem handle 100 Mbps?

"They can change bridge mode of their modem so it functions as just a pass through device,"
    Is this something done by spectrum or by me?

"(which also means they waive their fee for managing wifi)."
    Can you or someone confirm this? And if true what is the likelihood they may change their policy and charge for it?

Thank you for the reply

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,080 ADMIN
    Jul 02, 2020

@dixiebabykins wrote:

I was told that i could use my own modem for Internet but not for Phone.
    Is this correct?

If so can i use the spectrum modem for phone and my own modem for Internet?
    Is there a fee for the Phone only modem?

Yes, this is correct.  FCC regulations require that we provide the modem used for digital voice, and there is no fee.  As well, under Spectrum Pricing, there is no fee for the Internet modem.  There is a $5 monthly fee for WiFi, when activated.  As @RAIST5150  pointed out, the easiest solution is under Spectrum Pricing to cancel WiFi and use your own router.  We cannot guarantee future policies, but at this time there are no plans to charge a fee for internet equipment.    

If you are currently getting 20Mbps, then you are on a TWC Legacy plan.  To update your plan, you can call in or visit a local store.  Bridging the modem would need to be done by a Spectrum representative.   Most users on the Forums prefer visiting a store, since you can also update your equipment, if needed.   If you swap equipment, ensure you get a receipt that the old equipment was returned and keep it until you see the equipment is no longer on your monthly statement.  

• dixiebabykinsdixiebabykins Posts: 3
    Jul 02, 2020
    Thank you so much for the info.
    That is just what i needed to know.
    thank You again