Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Spectrum Stream

tcat007tcat007 Posts: 11
I keep getting emails about Stream. Can't find channel list. From the comments here the Roku app doesn't appear to be very good "freezes, wrong channel, awful". Had anything improved? What are the 25 channels included? Is it really $25 or more like $40 after fees? Are there add-ons? Thank you.

Comments

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭✭
    Jul 07, 2020
    Should go to your local office. They can give you a price that includes any applicable FCC/Franchise fees, taxes, etc. They will also have a list of the networks included.

When I did it in my market back during the testing phases it was a little less than PSVue before they jacked up their tiers and then everyone wanted to jump to about $50. It was basically a local and light entertainment tier... just a few news channels and no ESPN and such, but had things like HGTV, History, TBS, TNT, TLC Food Network, AMC, FX, etc.

It generally was only marketed to the internet only customers. If you went to manage your account and then looked at upgrading services it would show as an option there, and there would be a link to see all channels.

Note you also might qualify for the Choice streaming plan that costs a little less. It gives you locals and then lets you choose 10 from the cable lineup like ESPN, Weather Channel, etc.
  • tcat007tcat007 Posts: 11
    Jul 07, 2020
    Thanks, checked and showed 6 locals plus 26 channels. Only thing missing we watch it's Syfy. More concerned about reliability of Roku app. And how much cloud DVR do you get at what cost? It mentioned add-ons, but have no info.
  • RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭✭
    Jul 07, 2020
    Been over a year since I streamed via Spectrum... don't recall anything about DVR, as I don't really rely on it because I have an old i3 laptop dedicated as a media server.

But in general, the newer versions of streaming apps started having issues with the roku platform more because there are so many older models still in use.

It wasn't isolated to Spectrum... other brands were reporting issues also.
    ATT/DirecTV Now got a LOT of flack because they ran a promo giving out a lower spec'd Roku Stick for free and then upgraded the app... and it ran like crap on them. But people with the newer generations that had more memory, better processors, and better networking support (like the 3810 streaming stick+ or newer) ran the newer app just fine.

Should also note that many of the standalone apps can authenticate against your Spectrum account, possibly giving you access to on demand access and other features like voice command searching/launching, east/west coast feeds, start over, etc.

When considering the Roku platform, it is bettter to opt for the more premium models... there is a reason ones like the "Express" models are considerably cheaper (or given away in promos).

Here is a link to a wiki comparison chart... basically you want to aim for models with at least 1GB of main memory and then compare the other features like CPU, ethernet option, USB, better wifi support, etc:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku#Feature_comparison
This discussion has been closed.