Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

IPv6 Delegation Size

user20200816user20200816 Posts: 7 ✭✭
in Home Networking Aug 16, 2020

Anyone know the IPv6 Prefix Delegation size for Spectrum? Attempting to setup my router behind the Spectrum Modem.

Tagged:

Replies

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭
    Aug 16, 2020

Last time I tinkered with v6 on my Asus, I think it "auto" config'ed with the Native option. Forget. Disabled it a good while back to resolve some weirdness with a certain Bungie game.

• user20200816user20200816 Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Aug 16, 2020

If someone else has this question, then I hope this helps. After chatting with Spectrum support for a very long time, I was given this answer below (copied from chat transcript).

"Alright, I looked further into things just to ensure I was giving you the proper information. At this time your equipment has the capability for IPv6 but it is actually currently running off of IPv4 becasue we at this time are not supporting IPv6. It is in the works for it to be supported, however there is not ETA on when that is supposed to go through. I truly do apologize as I had through it had gone through already. So at this time you are unable to do anything with IPv6."

"From what I am seeing your equipment is capable of it, but we just are not supporting it at this time. There is no estimate time for that to go through or else I would definitely give you it!"

For reference, although I am not sure this makes a difference, I am based out of the Dayton, OH region so it may be different for other service areas. I swapped out the Spectrum equipment (that was handing out IPv6) with my own Router. Know I do not have IPv6...

Aug 16, 2020

Well crud... Guess that explains why it was failing the test for a v6 address. Could have sworn the only thing it failed last time it was active was the v6 DNS test.

Don't see a delegation setting in my router settings. Radio buttons for dhcp, auto config (stateful/stateless), auto dns connect, etc. Can set prefix length (64) and lease time... not much to tinker with really.

Could have sworn it was working "right" last fall though. Weird.

Aug 16, 2020

@user20200816

Well, looks like it is actually out there... kinda sorta. For one device only?

Was able to get it on a laptop when direct connected to the modem. But just cannot get it to behave through my router for additional devices... only ONE works.

Used Native with DHCP-PD, Stateless, Google v6 DNS instead of auto connect, and Router Announcements enabled. (ASUS router, stock firmware).

Something screwy with this router's firewall/firmware (Asus AC-1750, pretty old model). Had to restart the firewall and reconnect devices between tests and such. May be something to keep in mind if you decide to tinker more. But only the first device to latch on would get through. It is behaving more like it is setting /126 than /64?

No matter what combination of settings I tried for like an hour, it just would not let a second device work properly through my router. Both the phone and laptop appear to get assigned v6 addresses and all. Both the router logs and the details in Windows network properties show them getting addresses--but if I latched the phone first, that was the only one that worked:

Aug 17, 2020

Running some Ubiquiti equipment and a IPv6 Prefix Delegation size is required. Tried /64 & /56. Neither worked. I find it really odd that the Spectrum furnished Router hands out IPv6 addresses, but it is not available when utilizing my own equipment. I know the support agent told me it was unavailable, but I find it really odd unless they are utilizing something like 6to4 (which I do not fully understand either...). I just wish they would have better documentation.

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020 Aug 18, 2020

The Spectrum modem will allow you to run IPv6 on your personal equipment (the LAN port of the modem), but the WAN network (Spectrum cable) side of the modem only has one IPv4 public address which your router has to manage among all the IPv6 boxes you try to connect. Like the support agent told you, correctly, Spectrum doesn't offer full IPv6. It's their business decision, and they do include dual-mode 6 to 4 DNS servers. Unavailable generally includes that there is no documentation for curious potential future users.

• HomeAdminHomeAdmin Posts: 9 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020 Aug 18, 2020

If I request /56 I get a /56 and if I request a /64 I get a /64 so both works for me.

I have SB6141 modem with OpenWRT on WRT3200ACM. I can request my own delegation size. If I request a 56 I can even enable IPv6 on guest network.

Aug 19, 2020

@karlbeckman Any idea regarding what @HomeAdmin commented? Is this due to were his service location is?

edited August 2020 Aug 19, 2020

I am in 44483, if you are using their modem/router combo there is nothing much you can do, their equipment is made for less tech savvy users who just want to plug in the modem and start using the WiFi. You need to just get a modem and use your own router for more control.

• misterjmisterj Posts: 193 ✭✭✭✭
    Aug 19, 2020

There may be some Spectrum areas that cannot use IPv6 on the open Internet but not here (Texas). I have been using it for a couple of years. Right now I have many IPv6 connections including Firefox. Here is a screenshot of my Router (TP-Link). I masked out my IP address details but it is clear 64 is proper size. The router selected that, I did not. I found the definitive instructions by searching for "IPv6 Spectrum". There are a ton found. Enjoy, John.

Aug 20, 2020

Thank you all for your help! Going to give it a try tonight to see what all I can get working! Fairly new to IPv6, so I was playing with it so I do not screw up a small business deployment when it is time. :)

• misterjmisterj Posts: 193 ✭✭✭✭
    Aug 20, 2020

user20200, I am not sure you are thanking me, but I am glad to help. When searching, please also search "IPv6 router", in my case "IPv6 TP-Link". I suspect there are many router specific options. Thanks and enjoy, John.

Aug 22, 2020

@user20200816

Did a little more poking around in logs and stuff and spotted a few things that might be worth checking on. Uncanny how easily simple fixes can get by you when you haven't tinkered with networking in a while....

Some of my browsers were not running v6 dns queries. Simple stupid, right? Woosh... was going right over my head.

Went to a about:config and found an entry that was disabling dns v6. In firefox, the syntax for the key is "network.dns.disableIPv6", and the values are true false-the default is freaking set to true!?

Than there was some weirdness in the stupid system level firewalls on the clients. Had to add a rule to enable ICMPv6. Such a stupid little thing to have to enable/allow... but I'll be [email protected] if it didn't get the old i5 laptop I set up as a media server to start behaving.

So freaking stupid to find these little gotcha's hiding in my stuff... such elementary tweaks that I was just overlooking... expecting it to be a more complex issue out there.

Once correcting those "security" tweaks, was able to get it "working" on my home network across multiple devices here in South Carolina. I say "working" because it feels pretty sluggish... my older router is likely to blame for part of that (already planning an upgrade... just reluctant to pony up the $200 atm).

Used native with DHCP-PD enabled (it set /64), stateless, and google v6 DNS (used that just to be able to confirm v6 lookups in logs and such). Should work fine against Spectrum's DNS too... need to run some tests against that particular aspect still. Hopefully Spectrum's works and is more responsive because.... dayumn it can feel sluggish sometimes.

If I can't get it set up to feel more responsive, will likely turn it off again and check back later, as I don't really have a "need" to run v6 yet. But at least I was able to confirm I CAN if needed.

Aug 22, 2020

Its not about need, everything is moving towards IPv6, its more efficient and faster. Keep IPv6 on.

Aug 22, 2020

In a more fully supported environment it should be "faster"... but it is not always consistent in the current state of adoption.

https://stats.labs.apnic.net/ipv6/

Queries and/or routes can take longer in some cases... depends on varying factors.

It can still be quite environment/application specific as to whether you perceive any improvements with v6... and as I stated, things were sometimes sluggish for me as I was testing it. May be able to tweak things to perform more consistently, but it isn't something I am really compelled to do atm, as most of what I use the internet for either runs just fine on v4, or ONLY on v4. Only reason I bothered was for this thread. I used to use it a while back, but disabled it to test against gaming issues (many still do not support v6 well or at all). Since it appeared to resolve it, left it off.

• sylvainmartinsylvainmartin Posts: 1
    Sep 06, 2020

I'm in Monroe, OH, I can get a /56 on my opnsense firewall. The issue I've been having lately is that I loose IPv6 connectivity almost daily. It seems to be on the spectrum network side because it's dropping on the way in. I've switched to HE tunnel broker and I've not had any issues in the last 3-4 days

• sportsvoice1sportsvoice1 Posts: 5 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Hey @user20200816, I have IPv6 working in the Dayton area (Beavercreek). I am using pfSense and having it send a prefix hint for a /56 which works. I think a /60 may work as well. I can get a screenshot of my settings later if that helps.

• sportsvoice1sportsvoice1 Posts: 5 ✭✭✭
    Sep 17, 2020

@sylvainmartin I have noticed some intermittent contact with IPv6 based DNS servers in dnscrypt-proxy. I wonder if that's related to what you are seeing. I don't have a good way set up to monitor if IPv6 is staying up consistently.

• Randy_EckenrodeRandy_Eckenrode Posts: 1
    Sep 24, 2020

I’m in Columbus, and I’m seeing that issue too. I use Cloudflare’s IPv6 servers exclusively for my upstream DNS (as an IPv6 canary), and it’s been failing intermittently over the last few weeks. It got really bad last night, so I finally dug into it. I used to get a /56, but it seems regardless of my settings I get a /64. So far, having updated my configuration to no longer assume a 56, things seem to be stable again. Has anyone else seen this?

Sep 24, 2020

@Randy_Eckenrode Mind if I ask what equipment you are running?

• KennethCKennethC Posts: 1
    Sep 24, 2020

FWIW, I've got full IPv6 (including incoming) in 92869. My Google WiFi gets a /64 .

• Mike_from_TXMike_from_TX Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Oct 11, 2020

@Randy_Eckenrode I noticed the exact same issue. I have been using a /56 hint for as long as I've had IPv6 running, and I've always been given a /56 delegation until Friday. Now it seems I am only allowed a /64 delegation. Not only that, but it looks like they're renumbering us to a new portion of address space. I don't mind not getting a full /56, but it would be nice if they at least allowed us a /60, which is the recommended minimum for residential delegations. I'd even settle for a /62. There are legitimate reasons to segment a home network without having to resort to subnetting a /64.

• Mike_from_TXMike_from_TX Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Oct 11, 2020

Well, looks like I need to retract part of what I said. I reset everything and started fresh with my dhclient, and I was able to successfully get a /60 delegation. Everything appears to be working properly with that.

This discussion has been closed.