Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Packet loss between 7pm and 8 am every day.

DdrowellDdrowell Posts: 3 ✭✭
in Connectivity Sep 06, 2020

I have had packet loss for the past few weeks between 7 pm and 8 am every day. It interrupts gaming and live content. I have replaced the ethernet cable, router, and modem. I have pingplotter up showing my hops and seems to originate from hop 2 or 3.

I have had techs out 2 times telling me my signals are good. The second one replaced my neighbors line that was frayed from squirrel bites.

I know the issue is outside my influence but I am not sure what to tell spectrum to get this fixed.

Replies

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6 Sep 06, 2020

At the very least, give them a tracert for the servers you are having issues with.

Even if it does not complete all the way to the actual server because of their security, it should at least get to the perimeter of their network so they can look up ASN info and route tables and such.

We sometimes find there may be something the peering partners can do to improve things... or they may be able to even prioritize election to an alternate peer.

• DdrowellDdrowell Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Sep 07, 2020

Is there a way to have a tracert running when packet loss happens, cause all these trace routes are fine cause its not during packet loss

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭✭
    Sep 07, 2020

It may still be useful whether they show increased latency at a hop or not. A core benefit of the results is the roadmap it provides for where your traffic is going... which peers are involved and such. They can review data on specific details of the tracert that may help them spot issues regardless if it hints at losses occurring when the snapshot was taken.

Need to be mindful that the * events you see may not actually be "lost packets"... it may simply mean utilization has ramped up to the point it is electing not to respond to the ICMP ECHO request to conserve resources (or it may be ignoring them as a general rule for that matter). Those routing points normally don't really do much processing like that... they mostly just forward the packets along. They may still be forwarding packets just fine, but are not able to respong to ICMP timely. One thing indicating this is when a trace tracks no response intermittently at hops along the way that are not reflected at later hops or the endpoint. See this a lot in MTR postings--- a hop in the middle shows it responded to only 80 of the 100 requests sent, but hops after that and/or at the end show 100/100. That indicates a hop is under heavy load and my be causing intermittent delays in delivery, but not necessarily that packets are getting "lost" there.

• DdrowellDdrowell Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Sep 07, 2020

I got a tier 3 on the line and he said he does see some issues and is sending a line tech out.

This discussion has been closed.